Small fontanelle at 6 week check...

Baby had his 6 week check yesterday and the GP said he had a very small anterior fontanelle. Initially she wanted to refer me to a pediatrician then said she would observe first before referral. I tried to feel for his soft spot and it is difficult to locate and very small.

Baby is gaining weight nicely, has already been smiling for almost two weeks, is making lots of cooing sounds and holds head well. Head circumference is also fine, 75% centile. GP told me not be overly concerned but wants to see him again in two weeks.

At 1am last night I started researching this on my ipod and have thoroughly freaked myself out!! Premature closing of fontanelles can lead to abnormal head growth, may require surgery etc.

Has anyone else had this?

No, but just to say google is not always your friend and can really prey on your mind, imagining the worst in these kind of situations.

Do you think it might help if you arranged a follow up phone consultation with the same GP to ask the questions you want to ask? I am sure if she explained her concerns to you in more detail and the likelihood of it turning out to actually be a real problem, your fears would be more in perspective. Not a nice thing to have hanging over you :-(

xx

Ruth, can that be right? All babies are born with fontanelles although they may close (fuse) early in some. Did your GP say his fontanelles had closed prematurely? It is something they would be concerned about unless head growth etc. is absolutely normal but again that would have to be monitored over time... Please correct me if I am wrong I only started reading up on this last night!

Don't google any medical conditions, you will send yourself over the edge!

How is your baby's head shape? My sister's doctor suspected premature closure of one fontanelle in her baby a couple of years ago as his head was growing in a very unusual shape with a very flat back and a bulging forehead. As I recall they observed for a couple of weeks and then had x rays/scans the whole 9 yards. However I believe my sister pushed for a referral in the meantime ecause it takes weeks to come through. All was fine with the sutures but she took the decision to put him in a corrective helmet to remedy his headshape. He's now 2.5 and totally fine

My now 31 year old brother however was correctly diagnosed with premature closure of sagittal sutures, again because his head was growing in a very weird shape, like a rugby ball - he was operated on at Gt Ormond St as a 12 week old baby. He too is absolutely fine. This is farly unusual, so chances are that he will be fine and you just have a cautious GP.

However, if this is worrying you which i totally understand, go back and talk to your GP and ask for a referral for peace of mind...chances are it will take 6 weeks so you can use that time to observe and cancel if necessary

Good luck and try not to worry.... and stay away from the internet :)

His head shape is perfect (biased, me?) and the GP said so as well. But he is only 6 weeks not sure whether that will change. I am a bit surprised your brother had surgery so early on they must have diagnosed it awfully early.

I am now seeing GP again on Jan 5th - she is away over the holidays like everyone else I guess. I will ask for referral just in case and to get things going.

Babies - they always manage to figure out a way to scare you

My dad is a doctor so he spotted it super early...he was working in Saudi Arabia and literally turned up on the doorstep of Gt Ormond St!

I am always worried about everything with my two...it never stops. Can't tell you how many times I have taken them to A&E! Am back onto being worried sick about swine flu this week :(

I'm sure there is nothing to worry about, it sounds like your doctor is just being cautious but I think it's a good idea to get into the system just in case... way easier to cancel an appointment if you don't need one than get one at short notice I always find!

Enjoy your first Christmas with your son, it will be magical!

PRD

SG: Yep, really. GP couldn't really feel it, and I certainly couldn't. Baby S is now one, and had his pointy head measured every week up till about a fortnight ago. No major problems from it, and he wasn't referred for xrays or owt. Same thing happened with DH, and SIL. And FIL. Maybe genetic? Thankgod I didn't think to worry about it, I'd have sent myself loopy! Oh well, something to worry about for next time...