Any Jewish families in Dulwich wanting to get together? (Lounged)

Malarkey

I took my 18 m old son to the Teaddy Bear Shabbat at South London Liberal Synagogue in Streatham back in December. It wasn't well attended due to snow, but they certainly made a really nice effort to get the kids involved with songs, stories, and arts & crafts. They're held on the 1st Friday afternoon of each month. They also have a toddler group on Saturday mornings and hold family services - but I've been to none of these.

I would be up for getting together with some other local families around the holidays as I'm an expat and have no Jewish family to celebrate with around here.

Please forgive my interuption in your post but I am looking for a certified Kosher butcher in South London for a specific event (with the client advising that if I cook a dish with Kosher meat she will be happy). I do appreciate this will not make it a kosher meal but this is what my client has requested. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Sue

Thanks Malarkey this quite useful to know this, although him indoors does not go to a synagogue regular it is good to know there is a small Jewish community in South London as it tends to be in the north. His family orignaly came from the East End and then settled in Essex

Waitrose and Ocado stock various cuts of kosher beef as well as viennas and frozen chicken breasts and thighs.

Just Kosher in Hendon do fortnightly deliveries to South London (if you are at home on a Tuesday afternoon). Apart from that you are best to head up to Golders Green for a good kosher butcher.

Catford synagogue (Orthodox) and Bromley synagogue (reform) are both very welcoming synagogues, and Bromley has a number of families with only one Jewish partner.

michael_FH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just Kosher in Hendon do fortnightly deliveries to

> South London (if you are at home on a Tuesday

> afternoon). Apart from that you are best to head

> up to Golders Green for a good kosher butcher.

>

>

why travel so far? Peckham is full of top quality Halal meat! My mate Ahmed Abdel Aziz will do you a good deal! ;-)

Although Halal and Kosher meat are slaughtered in the same way, each death requires different religious rituals (and kosher butchers need to be licenced I think by the Beth Din(?) the Jewish religious court. So a strictly observent Jew would not accept Halal meat, I believe, as a substitute for kosher - it meets only some of the religious requirements (right death, wrong words).

Michael FH Wrote

------------------

Catford synagogue (Orthodox) and Bromley synagogue (reform) are both very welcoming synagogues, and Bromley has a number of families with only one Jewish partner.

That is really great to hear, I have always wanted to vist a Synagogue but thought I would not be welcome as I not Jewish will check it out.

Many Thanks

Ridgley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Michael FH Wrote

> ------------------

>

> Catford synagogue (Orthodox) and Bromley synagogue

> (reform) are both very welcoming synagogues, and

> Bromley has a number of families with only one

> Jewish partner.

>

> That is really great to hear, I have always wanted

> to vist a Synagogue but thought I would not be

> welcome as I not Jewish will check it out.

>

> Many Thanks

I'm not Jewish but I went to Edgware & District Reform Synagogue last month for a baby blessing. The service lasted nearly 2.5 hours and was nearly all in Hebrew but I really enjoyed it. It was thoroughly welcoming + interesting.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

I have been in touch with La Boucherie who were incredibly helpful and they deliver to sleepy old East Dulwich on a Tuesday.

Quite a complicated belief when it comes to cooking, which I respect, it just took a while to work out dishes with different named cuts of meat and also, if I cook it, then it is automatically rendered non Kosher even though it was Kosher when it was bought.

Anyway, client knew all this and just wants to make the effort, loves the menu and has booked us to cook for her. So, once again, thank you to everyone who posted ideas on here for me

Sue

www.suzannejames.co.uk

• 2 months later...
Hi! I'm getting to this late as we only just moved down to Forest Hill. But I'm an American Jew with a 16 month old son who is looking for some Jewish-ness down here in SE. I'm actually considering starting a Shabbat Sing along for toddlers/pre schoolers every Friday morning. thoughts? Just an informal gathering for those of us who grew up with Jewish songs and culture and want our little ones to be part of the community. Any thoughts? We could even make Challah for the older ones and light candles. At my pre school at my synagogue in the states, teh girls and boys would each take turns being ima and abba for each shabbat as well. let me know....

Hi Eden,

My husband and I are new parents of a 3-month old baby girl. I too am an American Jew (ok, a J.A.P. sometimes) looking for Jewishness in SE London. We live in East Dulwich and had been thinking about reaching out to the Streatham Liberal Synagogue. Our daughter has a way to go to being a Shabbat ima, but we would be interested in meeting up and even sharing a shabbat dinner sometime.

Kind regards, Heidi