Tired mum looking for natural energy booster recommendations?

Can anyone recommend any natural energy boosters for tired parents?

Not sure if such a thing exists in reality. But I'm just so tired (as are the 99% of all parents I am sure)! Had a rare 7 hours non stop sleep last night but am still so sleepy at my desk at work despite having gone out in this beautiful sunshine at lunch.

Does anyone have any tips? Unfortunately I hate coffee so can't rely on that, and don't have enough time for exercise at the moment (though I do walk alot with buggy). Just wondering if there are any super-foods or supplements that experienced burnt out parents find actually work?

Sounds like you have a lot to make you tired but I wonder if you have ruled out iron deficiency? If that is ruled out then I would also go with high protein, low carb diet with lots of fresh fruit and orange juice, which I have heard works as well as coffee! You could also try a bit of me time - facial, massage etc.

A good healthy diet with lots of water. I always find I have so much more energy when I eat well and drink my water - when you're tired and run down it's easy to turn to caffeine/chocolate which I'm convinced makes the problem worse.

P x

Yes I think that is the problem. i have such an awfully sweet tooth and have to follow every lunch and dinner with a sweet. Today it was a krispy kreme. Then I get that afternoon sleepy lull and I know its probably the sugar. I eat very well other than the sweeties, always home cooked meals and red meat regularly so doubt if its an iron deficiency.

Thanks for advice. Might start trying berocca too to see if that peps me up. Either that or some hard core drugs!

I know it's the last thing you will want to do while tired but doing a bit of exercise works wonders for me. I suffer from insomnia as well as having kids so the last thing i EVER want to do is go to gym but if i get up before they wake to go for a swim the difference in my mood during the day is quite unbelievable.

I know this may sound disgusting but half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper stirred into an innocent smoothie really works. Makes your eyes water a bit but really wakes you up. The only trouble is people look at you funny in the office.

I never drank coffee before I went back to work but now I depend on it which isn't ideal really.

As well as iron, it's worth getting a blood test to check for Thyroid levels if you are feeling tired constantly. It's surprising how many folk are affected by low levels, which can have lots of other side effects too which we often dismiss with logical explanations. Essentially, if you think it's more than just a lack of sleep inherent in being a parent of young kids, it's worth chatting with your GP just to ensure anything medical is ruled out.

If all is okay, it may be worth having a chat to the folk in Health Matters or similar, if you can afford more targeted supplements. I started taking high dose Vitamin B1 to ward off insect bites and it did seem to improve my energy levels. I'm sure other things work too. But not always the cheapest option!

One superfood worth mentioning is Spirulina - very high protein, increases metabolism and reduces sugar cravings. You can get it in powder or tablet form from Health Matters and I think they may also have snacks that contain it. I used to take it religiously in the mornings and it really does boost your energy levels. Check it out!

Thanks for all these tips. I know its just 'normal' tiredness as had blood tests 5 months ago and all fine so its not health related. I just think I still cannot get used to being woken in the night then at 5/6am day after day - I don't think I ever will!

Good tip re spirulina - never heard of it but will check it out this week!!