Best Route to cycle to London Bridge?

RR

Hi all

I've been cycling in to work in the city going through bellenden, then Peckham/back of Lidl's - and up Sumner Road. However Sumner Road is now not much better than an unmade-up gravel path and what with also having got caught up cycling past lots of masked, unpleasant looking youths last night making various objectionable comments plus riot police etc, I think I'd prefer to find a more agreeable route in terms of road quality and scenery quality, if one exists. Any suggestions welcome.

I usually use the Surrey Canal bike path on the way to london bridge - which is probably not much better. Had the same issues (odd pebble thrown) with unpleasant types last night on the way back home around Chaucer RD / Oxely Close area before hitting the real trouble in Peckham proper. Given posts on other threads will be plotting a detour home tonight.

I usually use the Surrey Canal bike path too - but chose the slightly longer route of going down the Old Kent Road, then going through Nunhead to go home. Certainly not scenic, but straight roads and no troubles that I know of...

Benmorg:

From Southern website "The high volume of passengers who use our trains during the peak times means that we cannot accommodate ordinary cycles on Southern services at these times. This means on trains travelling towards either London or Brighton and due to arrive between 07:00 and 10:00 and trains leaving either London or Brighton between 16:00 and 19:00."

So if you leave after 1900 hours then you're OK.

About an hour ago I cycled home from Blackfriars Bridge to Crystal Palace Rd via my usual route: round the back of Elephant, then down Brandon/Portland St (parallel to Walworth Rd) then through Burgess Park on Wells/Southampton Way, then straight over(ish) Peckham Rd, up Lyndhurst and through Bellenden. No bother at all - a bit quieter than usual but saw no trouble, other than a group of police waiting around by the Victoria in Peckham Rye. There were 3 of us together though, and it was a good hour ago. Hope that helps.

Just got back home from cycling home from London Bridge via my usual route; willow walk, cut through Chaucer Rd / Oxely, over the Kent Road, down Surrey Canal past the Library, onto Bellenden Rd up into ED. Really quiet, did not feel threatened at all. Victoria Pub and Pizzeria closed on Bellenden Road.Did not see any police. Apart from that nothing else to add. Hope this helps for others who are thinking of using this route.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Benmorg:

> From Southern website "The high volume of

> passengers who use our trains during the peak

> times means that we cannot accommodate ordinary

> cycles on Southern services at these times. This

> means on trains travelling towards either London

> or Brighton and due to arrive between 07:00 and

> 10:00 and trains leaving either London or Brighton

> between 16:00 and 19:00."

> So if you leave after 1900 hours then you're OK.

Thanks. In the end I cycled, using the main roads where there are loads of police.

No hoodies anywhere tonight. Their "olders" have clearly been busy with the Blackberries, telling them to lie low while the police are everywhere.