Bed wetting

Info@

HELP daughter who has just turned 4 years old who was almost dry at night (maybe one accident a month), since nursery finished for summer hols has started bed wetting, often twice in a night! We have tried sticker chart, with promise of reward at the end.

She did seem keen to not wet and we had 3 stickers in a row (but only with us lifting at 11pm) but it has been 4 weeks now and she doesnt seem to care anymore. She says it is cause she is tired, think she just sleeps very heavily. Last drink at 5.30pm, toilet before 6.30 bath, potty last thing at 7.30 and we have even lifted her at 9.30 and she still wet at 11pm when we go to bed! No probs during the day although always too busy to wipe, flush, wash hands without prompting!

I am thinking going back to pull up 'just in case' pants, and starting the process all over again - but dont want to make her more lazy (if that is what it is) or traumatise! Have talked to her about it, havent been 'cross' but disappointed, she understands she cant have sleepovers until she is dry etc. She starts Reception in Sept.

HELP!

In brief - perfectly normal, if not the most usual to be wetting at the beginning of reception. If she's wetting that early on in the night it sounds as though she's just not ready - i.e. not capable physically of doing it yet.

The only thing to check is that she doesn't have worms - that can trigger bed wetting in children who had stopped.

Child 1 stopped bed wetting in reception year, and child 2 starting also in Sept still has nappy pants at night and i know we're not the only ones...

this might sound weird, but do check if you've changed anything she drinks. My daughter wets her bed if she drinks elderflower cordial (at any time during the day) or anything with berries in it during the afternoon. Not sure why, but it's always been the case. Might be worth checking especially if she ever drinks squash or cordial. She's just four, too.

aahh interesting and good thinking, she drinks mainly water but we have had a new lime cordial . . . have put her back in pull ups and will keep this in mind in couple weeks when we maybe try again! thanks all

Don't worry Help is at hand - I would suggest you call ERIC the only charity that deals with children's potty and toilet training issues. The ladies on the Helpline are so helpful and will listen to your individual case (every child is different) and then help you find ways to resolve it. The ERIC helpline is 0845 370 8008 and is currently open 10-4pm Mon to Fri, and from 1st Sept will be open 24/7 - you can also look at the ERIC website: www.eric.org.uk

good luck, best wishes Jenny