New York, New York, so good they named it twice.

i think you are now off the idea - but whatever you do, please do NOT bring a side by side double buggy to manhattan! the city is just not that baby friendly and you will struggle on crowded sidewalks and shops with small aisles, plus the natives will have no patience. i'm from NY originally and a friend who is still there who just had a baby made a hilarious observation - she said that NY was so un-baby friendly that people looked at her pushing a baby in a pram like she was wheeling around a bomb in a shopping trolley! that's a little exaggeration, but just accept that it's a busy, crazy city with more people than space.

that said, there are loads of great places to go with kids (all comments posted above are great). definitely get one of the many NY city guides for kids...the advice and tips of the best spots to visit with your bubs will be priceless (just search on amazon for 'new york city guide kids').

have a great time!

I again have to disagree that Manhattan is un-baby friendly. I was there last week and you couldn't move for double buggies. The upper east side (and Brooklyn) is baby central, maybe less so downtown but still plenty of little ones about. it used to be the old standard that people would move out of NYC when they had kids- the clean-up since the early 90s means it is now considered a perfectly acceptable place to raise a family - though finding a good state school or paying fees are just as much of a minefield as in London.

Re: schools. My uncle (lives in manhatten, lucky him) is going through this right now. Sounds worse than school logisitics round here tbh!

Thankyou everyone so much for your replies! We tried out a double maclaren and even a nipper 360 over the weekend but I had so much trouble steering them. It's going to be the p&t, plus a few slings for good measure. I'm going to buy a seat that reclines slightly so we can recline it and pad it out and hope lex is good in it- she's got amazing head control already, so maybe???

We also have a myriad of city guides and books- seb is v excited, mainly for the plane ride. I'm happy that I'm nursing Lex and can't do any toddler wrangling on the plane- now there is a benefit of bf no one tells you about!!!