Ouch! Biting 8 month old at the start of feeding.

Fidgetsmum

I've searched and searched tonight on other threads and other forums but they all reference to babies biting at the end of feeds when they've had enough. I have the opposite problem. My son bites (hard) at the beginning of feeds. I've tried everything over the last 3 weeks (whilst being consistent with how I've done it) but tonight, he bit so hard, repeatedly, after I latched him off firmly saying No, that my husband ended up giving him a bottle whilst I was in tears.

Usually once the let down comes, he tends to feed ok (but not as eagerly as once he did) and then just latches off when he's done. He very rarely gets a bottle, (like once every three or four weeks, so it's not confusion with that i.e. getting lazy as the bottle is easier to get the milk from).

It's making me want to stop bf. I fed my daughter till she was 18 months or so, so I envisaged a similar circumstance with my son. But he really just doesn't seem to want to do it any more. He's 75th centile for weight so not fading away or anything.

Any advice? Could I stop feeding him now and not feel guilty for the rest of my life that I didn't do it as long as I did with my daughter? Or is there a magic trick I'm missing to get him to stop biting?

I don't have any great advice but my LO did this at the beginning of feeds rather than at the end at around 8 months if memory serves me correctly (with at least 8 teeth at that point). Anyway it stopped ad quickly as it started (one week-ish, not every feed) so hopefully he will too? I'm still breastfeeding at 13 months and despite 16+ teeth now I never get bitten.

I realise this isn't massively helpful but hopefully it's anecdotally reassuring?

x

When he bites you, have you presented the boob to him at a habitual time when he usually has a feed, or when he has asked for it? It might be that he just isn't that hungry at that point, and so is biting because he isn't really interested in the milk and so is kind of playing with it. Might be worth trying not offering you boob to him at times other than when he is asking? Just an idea that might be worth a go. Good luck, there is nothing worse than a bitten boob - keep an eye on it for mastitis xxxx

I've always fed to a schedule so I'm not sure I'd know the signs! He's a piggy for solids and has been since I weaned him at 6 months. I can't remember with my daughter when I stopped the lunchtime feed - I wonder if it was around now. Perhaps I will try a more on demand approach.

I had this around 8 months and decided it was related to teething. Once a couple of crucial teeth came through he stopped as suddenly as he had started. I also said no firmly and stopped feeding when he did it - so it could be he just understood not to? He has done it again a couplr of times since - and again its been when new teeth are coming through. Really awful phase to get through! Makes feeding so stressful and painful

Well the update is that I didn't feed him boob at lunchtime, just solids, so he only had two feeds - one first thing in the morning and one for bedtime. And he didn't bite once. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I know it's only the first day but hopefully, he was just bored and uninterested at the lunchtime feed - he certainly didn't give any signs of wanting it. Thanks for all the advice.

Day 3 in the Big Biting House... (said with Newcassle accent of course)

I didn't feed him lunchtime boob again, and his first thing and last thing feeds were fine yesterday (just biting at the end of the feed which I don't mind and can cope with). So good on that front.

Only thing is, that I don't think he's getting enough milk. According to everything I've read, he still gets most of his nutrition from me rather than the solids, and he 'should' be getting 500ml (18 fl oz) per day. I can't tell exactly of course but I don't think he's getting that much off me in the morning and night feeds.

Should I be worrying?

No, don't worry. His interest in the solids and in your milk will most likely vary and fluctuate over time sometimes favouring one, sometimes the other, and when you average it all out, I expect that you would find that he is getting just exactly what he needs. Also remember that all babies needs are different, and so anything advised in a book is based on an average not your baby.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like he is impatient for the letdown to me. Have you tried to massage your boobs or pump a little first so he doesn't have to wait for the letdown? When my little girl started biting I was advised to pinch her nose immediately until she let go. They hate it, as they can't breathe - she stopped more or less immediately after that ;)