Views on Oakfield and Dulwich Prep

Vickster

Dear Vickster,

A close friend of mine sent her daughter to Oakfield and wasn't impressed with how they taught phonics and reading. I have primary teaching experience and it is imperative that a school adopt a well thought out scheme, such as Letterland for the Foundation Stage, I'm assuming your child is at this stage. I gathered that Oakfield chopped and changed all the time and her 4 year old daughter just got so confused and refused to read in the end. I sincerely hope things have changed.Ultimately a happy child makes the best learner.

My son is at Oakfield, now in Year 2. He started just before his 4th birthday. The school has been fantastic. He finds learning difficult and the school has supported him every step of the way. He is progressing much better than I might have imagined and he is happy, enthusiastic and confident. The school manages to balance a warm, diverse community with old fashioned discipline and high expectations. I am a primary school teacher myself (working in a state school) and highly recommend it.

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. DebbiM, that is very good news that your son is doing so well, and very reassuring. Macaroni, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did your friend's daughter attend? My understanding is that there has recently been a new head who has made a very good impression, so hopefully this may have been one of the things that have been addressed.

Any one with any Dulwich Prep (DCPS) views?

My son is at Dulwich Prep. Nursery at the moment and I couldn't be more positive about it. He loves it and the teachers are just wonderful. On Friday it was pyjama day and all the kids AND teachers spent the day in the pi's!!!! I'm very very happy with it and I've only heard positives from the other parents in the playground. Good luck with your decision

Dear Vickster, my friend's daughter attended 4 years ago and I have heard mixed reviews in the years that have passed. It's so hard to choose and no one school will be perfect, my own go to a catholic school, I'm always intrigued how faith schools seem to get it right, if possible consider that avenue. Dear Reader, do not vilify me!

Hi, I have worked as a nanny where boys I have cared for attended Dulwich prep, it is a fantastic school, superb facilities, dedicated teachers! Private school is unfortunately not an option for my daughter, if we could afford it, I would apply for Dulwich prep, they take girls for one year but it would be valuable.

If your son is turning 4 in April you might need to get his name down now fo sept 2012. Best of luck x

• 3 weeks later...

Hhm - yes I'm sure faith schools get some things but not all right??? Down to personal opinions on some of this I'd have thought - but then my point of view is that of an atheist who thinks putting crucifixes in classrooms is getting it wrong... Non-faith ones are quite capable of getting things right too.

Helen

macaroni Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Vickster, my friend's daughter attended 4

> years ago and I have heard mixed reviews in the

> years that have passed. It's so hard to choose and

> no one school will be perfect, my own go to a

> catholic school, I'm always intrigued how faith

> schools seem to get it right, if possible consider

> that avenue. Dear Reader, do not vilify me!