New Life Assembly Church Upland Road

Cityjules

Dear Churchgoers of the New Life Assembly Church,

I would be grateful if you would consider car sharing for your trips to church.

Henslowe Road is a residential road NOT a car park.

Unfortunately, when there is a popular meeting at your church it is becoming increasingly difficult to park anywhere on the road let alone outside our own houses.

The councils response no doubt would be to make money out of the problem and enforce residential parking. I know I don't want this, but I would like to be able to park on my own road.

So please bear this in mind the next time you visit.

Thankyou!

Actually it's not once a week. Monday and Tuesday evening the road was packed, and countless other times.

There are lots of families that live down Henslowe, it's not unreasonable to want to park near ones house and not have to carry shopping/ children a long way.

I know a country road belongs to everyone, that's why I personally don't want resident parking. All I'm asking is for a little consideration of residents & the environment.

You might find that the Gas Board have fouled things up. They have made large amount of Friern "No Parking" this has affected us to in the last couple of days. They have some complicated work to do at the junction. The only time I am really bothered is when The School has an open day. It a nightmare with prospective parents parking in ridiculous places - including the pavement.

Surely this is the same everywhere?

I live round the corner from both North Cross Road market and the mosque in North Cross Road.

At certain times/days of the week I also sometimes find it difficult to park near my house, and occasionally in my road, if I'm not already parked there.

It's just a fact of city life, surely. And probably country life too in certain places, eg near pubs.

If you have a pressing need to park near your house, maybe you should move somewhere with off-street parking?

Try living on Crystal Palace Road, since the leisure centre relocated. I rarely park outside my house 7 days a week. My car is often up to 10 houses away. You not having to park outside your property 2 days a week is a luxury.

Unfortunately parking is the down side of living in London!!

I'm sure it must be frustrating, but if you really want to sort it out wouldn't it be more effective to email or vist the church leaders and ask directly so they can do something about it? The majority of the congregation probably don't use this forum.

The last time I went past it the board outside said the pastor is 'L Bent', arguably the greatest name ever for a preacher.

Ms B Wrote:

>

> The last time I went past it the board outside

> said the pastor is 'L Bent', arguably the greatest

> name ever for a preacher.

xxxxxxx

Yep, I posted that in the Lounge on the thread "Things which have made me laugh" :)) :)):))

Ms B Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sure it must be frustrating, but if you really

> want to sort it out wouldn't it be more effective

> to email or vist the church leaders and ask

> directly so they can do something about it? The

> majority of the congregation probably don't use

> this forum.

>

> The last time I went past it the board outside

> said the pastor is 'L Bent', arguably the greatest

> name ever for a preacher.

You're probably right. I was thinking of doing this, but was having a rant on here today and posted instead!

Sue Wrote:

> Ms B Wrote:

>

> >

> > The last time I went past it the board outside

> > said the pastor is 'L Bent', arguably the

> greatest

> > name ever for a preacher.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Yep, I posted that in the Lounge on the thread

> "Things which have made me laugh" :)) :)):))

Think I did too!!

And I sent it to Popbitch.

Oh dear.

And I sent it to The News Quiz.

Ms B Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ms B Wrote:

> >

> > >

> > > The last time I went past it the board

> outside

> > > said the pastor is 'L Bent', arguably the

> > greatest

> > > name ever for a preacher.

> >

> > xxxxxxx

> >

> > Yep, I posted that in the Lounge on the thread

> > "Things which have made me laugh" :)) :)):))

>

> Think I did too!!

>

> And I sent it to Popbitch.

>

> Oh dear.

As someone else said, crowded on-street parking is a fact of life in London - it's something you have to bear in mind when choosing to live in London, and choosing whether or not to own a car.

By all means speak to the church, but in practice, their members are perfectly within their rights, and if they find it most convenient to drive there, they will continue to do so.

On the other hand, they're Christian folk who no doubt care a lot about the local community so if you ask nicely they'll probably try to do something about it.

We had the exact same problem. Cars descending on a quiet residential street - Sundays, weekdays, slamming doors, litter on the street and crying children coming out of the 'church' at 1am at the morning.

Neighbours next to the 'church' had to put up with the equivalent of night-club-level noise music and shouting.

We asked the 'pastor' nicely, he didn't care about our concerns.

We reported noise levesls to the Council, they were very helpful and Noise Abatement offices came around to assess levels of disturbance from cars and singing.

It then turned out, surprise surprise, that the 'church' did not have plaaning permission to hold a 'Place of Worship' in an industrial building. Many residents petitioned the Council and helpful local MPs, all of us trying to evict the church. This went on for 6 months...then the landlord discovered the premises had been sublet to an illegal church and promptly changed the locks and issued them with an eviction notice. Just as the Council was going to serve an injunction.

So I would suggest this is not just 'city life' - people cannot descend en masse to a residential street. Think of it in reverse; would you have chosen to live next to the equivalent of a pub? There are ways and means...good luck!

The 'Church' is a Church. And some of these wicked people come from ... Catford. Outrageous! Local Churchs for Local People. Think of all those Carbon Miles. Plus the cost of Border Control.

I also humbly suggest that no-one who lives near the Church lived there before it was built. So they all chose to live near it.

What's the difference between a 'church' and a church? What makes one set of rituals, superstition and mythology better than another (apart from than the age of the building it takes place in?)

Anyway, if somebody believes they'll be granted eternal life by driving from Catford to East Dulwich every Sunday, you're going to have to come up with something better than "this isn't a car park" if you want them to stop.

I think in this context a "church" is a building that started out as something else. Quite a lot of disused warehouses shops and offices are brought back into use by Church-goers. Whereas a Church is a building built as a church and thus having all the permissions either granted or assumed as a result of long term use.