Advice for entertaining a newborn needed!

Hello

I have just had a baby daughter this week and want to start thinking about things I could get her like mobiles and playmats to keep her entertained when she is a bit older and more aware. I only have practical things like nappies and clothes and want to start spoiling her!

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that their babies loved? I know the jumperoo seems to come up a lot?

Thanks

Congratulations on your newborn. The best entertainment for her for a long while will be looking at you...your smile, your eyes, your hair...nothing better than that for a new baby.

When my son was a slightly older baby he loved having different pieces of coloured cloth waved over/across his head where he could catch the shadows and light...he wasn't hugely interested in all the nice toys we bought by Brio etc (as nice as they are) for quite some time. But, if you really want to make a nice purchase for baby play i'd suggest a playmat with about 3 brightly coloured, softly textured toys. I don't think she'll need much more than this for a while.....as much as all the magazines and society will tell you otherwise. Enjoy your cuddles.

Congratulations!!!!

my little babies loved this mobile -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiny-Love-464-Classic-Mobile/dp/B002BSHTS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329258428&sr=8-1 (or something very similar!) seemed to keep them entertained for a good 15 or so mins, from quite a young age.

Congrats!!!

Babygym is essential!

A walk in the pram with trees and cars to look at

Making wobbly faces and raspberries at the baby

Baby massage

Mother and baby groups

A book made for tiny babies like John Fordham's "Faces" ragbook

Staring at the light around your curtains or lamps

Best of all is this book which you'll refer to for the next five years http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fun-Start-maximize-babys-potential/dp/0007245653/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329261491&sr=1-1