Help please: bed guard or bed bumper?

We just bought a bed for our 21months old. - how time flies!!!

He moves so much when he sleeps and we are thinking of buying something to stop him from falling out of the bed.

I have been looking at options and can't decide whether to buy a guard (metal or rail with mesh) or bed bumper (made of foam that you put under the bed sheet)

Any thoughts or views would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Anna

We have some really good ones that are inflatable and go under the fitted sheet. They are great for travelling, as he can sleep in any big bed in a hotel or whereever. There are some that are made to go into a special fitted sheet, but the ones we bought are just individual tubes that can go under any size fitted sheet, so better for hotels, etc. where the bed may be single, double, king, etc.

you know I think these are one of those child things that can go in the 'not really needed' pile

you can put a spare mattress or a duvet on the floor if you want (I seem to recall we did this) but they learn very quickly how not to fall out - it's amazing

We have tube thing alieh mentions, dream tubes. Great for travelling, but you will probably want to buy an extra sheet as well so not cheap. Excellent for making daughter feel cosy in a strange bed. First night we took side of cotbed off husband thought we didn't need anything. Cue piercing screams at 2am when she fell out, very confused. Yes she probably would have learnt very quickly but it was one of those things we couldn't face disrupting sleep at that stage. Also travelling you don't always have option of putting something on floor and beds sometimes high up. Daughter loves it.