Mugging - Hayes Grove - Monday 2nd April

I just wanted to mention an incident last night so we can all be vigilant.

I live on Hayes Grove and a girl was mugged right outside our block at about midnight last night - Monday 2nd April. I heard awful screaming from outside. I thought it could be idiots mucking around, but the screaming was so horrendous I had a look out of the window. I saw a girl coming into our block but assumed she lived here - I have not lived in the block long and don't know all the faces as yet. All seemed normal so I thought nothing else of it. But it turns out she was the one who had been mugged. She is friends with my neighbour and so she just came knocking on the door for help, since it had happened right outside.

The attacker was a black man with a cap and a hoody I believe. I am a bit sketchy on the description as I have only just found out about all this but the cap might have been red if I remember rightly. He did not use a weapon.

The girl was walking through from ED station, via Vale End then Hayes Grove, to get to her own street. The guy attacked her by the bin sheds of our block....on Hayes Grove, very close to Copleston Road. Its likely he followed her from the station.

He only got away with her yoga bag - she wears a handbag that crosses her body which made that too difficult thankfully. He approached from behind and when she turned to him, having heard something behind her, he covered her mouth and wrestled her bag off her.

I just wanted to spread the word. There seems to be a few of this attacks occuring at the moment.

tiger ranks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this is gettin very serious around this area what

> have local police said about this

xxxxxxxx

It is always hard to know whether these incidents are actually increasing in number or whether they are just getting more publicity than they used to because people knowing about them post details on this forum.

Unfortunately it is a sad fact of life that muggings happen in all parts of London and elsewhere).

It's just that we don't usually hear about them.

I would be interested to know the statistics, if anybody has them - whether there is an actual recent increase in number or severity of muggings round here, and if so, whether it is more of an increase than in other areas of London.

Oh God, this is horrendous... I live in Hayes Grove too (only been here 4 weeks!) and was woken up by the sound of a girl screaming - it was really bloodcurling and shocked me to the core. I wanted to check out the EDF to see if other people heard it too (or whether I had been dreaming) as I really didnt expect it in this lovely area.

Thank you so much for your post and letting everyone know - I will certainly be VERY careful walking back from the station myself, but I feel so horrified for the poor girl... I think it's about time I got an alarm, even just for the 1 minute walk to my flat! :(

Not to far from where I was mugged a couple of weeks ago...similar circumstances although in the middle of the day.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,854928,854928#msg-854928

Sadly the police were unable to find anything on the CCTV so I think he got away with it.

Edited to say that the train station would strike me as a popular place for potential muggers to keep watch out as there are lots of small roads and quiet spots as soon as you walk off the main road. I hadn't really thought about it to be honest until it happened to me.

Poor girl, I hope she is ok.

There are also muggings at the Sainsburys on Denmark Hill, I have witnessed 2 potential muggings, they operate in two's and don't go into Sainsburys but just arrive as 2 and quickly target victims, I have spoken to Sainsburys security but a joke as the CCTV would have caught 2 that were just about to nick a woman's mobile as she sat in her car near the steps to the Champion Hill Estate.

Moore13 Wrote:

> Oh God, this is horrendous... I live in Hayes

> Grove too (only been here 4 weeks!) and was woken

> up by the sound of a girl screaming - it was

> really bloodcurling and shocked me to the core.

xxxxxxxx

Did you go to investigate, or phone the police, when you heard the screaming?

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Because it is not just Convenient for commuters

> but also for Mugging B@stards.

>

> But Loz I don't understand your question.

Sorry - I misread. But still, one mugging?

There is some CCTV on Hayes Grove so hopefully they will be able to get some imagery of the attacker.

Let's all me more vigilant and report any suspicions to police / safer neighbourhood teams, cause he probably is going to be happy for long of the pickings of a yoga bag...

crime maps http://www.police.uk/overview/?q=London%20SE22,%20UK

> tiger ranks Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> I would be interested to know the statistics, if

> anybody has them - whether there is an actual

> recent increase in number or severity of muggings

> round here, and if so, whether it is more of an

> increase than in other areas of London.

Loz Wrote:

> the-e-dealer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Because it is not just Convenient for commuters

> > but also for Mugging B@stards.

> >

> > But Loz I don't understand your question.

>

> Sorry - I misread. But still, one mugging?

Its difficult to untangle but I think at least 2 in a week. Some instances may be re reporting of other instance.