Slings for older babies

I use a Manduca which can be used on the front and the back. Currently use it for my six month old but have also used it for my older two until they were 2.5.

I love it - I find it easy to get the baby/ child in and out and really comfortable - can carry then for a couple of hours no problem.

Another vote for the sling library. Slings cost a lot and it's worth checking that you get on with one before you buy it. I also have the ergo though my baby is only 5 months.

If you or your baby are particularly tall/short/big/small then it might not be the one for you, or you might need a particular type.

We have a Beco Gemini which we bought when Baby Knomester got to big for the Babybjorn. He's 20 months now and we only use it occasionally as he's tall and heavy, but he still fits in it perfectly fine. Like other slings people have mentioned, it works for front and back carrying and also facing forwards when carrying on the front (which he used to prefer so was crucial for us).

We bought from Slumber-roo who are great with advice.

Good advice here, second Emily at the South London Sling Library (and there is a facebook group too which might be worth looking). Debi at Slumber Roo is super helpful as well. Any of the recommendations are going to be 10x more comfortable for you (and baby) than the Bjorn at this age.

I love slings and full-time babywear (with hefty 20.5 month old). Ergo, Beco Gemini, Beco Butterfly, Boba 3G and Babyhawk are all great, have owned/trialled them all, but I definitely think the Manduca is the best in class in the Soft Structured Carriers (SSC) category. I adore mine and I still carry happily (usually a front, facing-inwards carry but I am unusual in still predominantly doing that) every day. It does everything the Ergo does and if you have the choice to spend a little extra I'd go for it over the Ergo as really adjustable and will last you ages.

Hope this helps, happy babywearing!

I loved our Wilkinet. If you don't mind that the straps take a little patience to wrap correctly, this was FAR and AWAY the most comfy sling I had. Husband never got the hang of it, and so he preferred the Ergo. I liked the Ergo ok, but Little Saff couldn't ride on the front facing forward in the Ergo like she could in the Wilkinet. I think it's good to have a couple of different slings, b/c some slings fit better with different types of clothes too.