Fastest way to drive to Surrey

I wouldn't say that's the fastest though. I suppose it depends on where in Surrey you want to go. I used to drive to Esher on a daily basis and went cross town. It was so long ago I don't remember the specific route but if you look at a map, see the different places you could join the A3 and work your way back. However, if you are a relatively new driver doing what Lindsay suggested might be your best and safest option.

I'm originally from Surrey so go out that way a lot and the only way to go is a205/a3. You can avoid the Clapham Common/Battersea Rise bottleneck and also the Wandsworth High Street if you're clever with your cut throughs, although if you leave before 10am at the weekend, you'll probably be okay to drive straight through. Whatever you do, don't follow a sat nav as they always want to take you through Tooting/Merton which is traffic light after traffic light and is just awful for traffic.

Avoid Sundays if possible. Otherwise Saturdays anytime before 12ish. Straight down the south circ and then the A3, I do it once a week or so and avoid these times by experience! If quiet then is quick.

As above do not go via Tooting...awful stop start traffic...

A quick way to get to Surrey beyond the M25 is to drive to Beckenham, take a right at the Odeon roundabout and a left at the next junction into Upper Elmers End Road, then go on to West Wickham through to Layhams Road, Skid Hill and Beddlestead Lane and on down Titsey Hill. You go under the M25 and end up on the A25 at Limpsfield.

• 4 weeks later...