Help! I think my milk supply is going....

Baby is only 5 months old and I have noticed that in the last week or so, my milk just doesn't seem to be there any more. (No "football" boob effect which I used to get whenever he was due a feed). He is trying to feed more often - I assume due to not getting enough when he does feed.

Any suggestions on increasing milk supply? I have heard about mother's tea and will be getting that tomorrow but would also welcome other ideas.

I'm not ready to stop BF yet :(

Is baby showing any other signs of possible low supply? dehydration (less wet nappies), fussiness etc?

I had low supply with my first; what helped was taking fenugreek (makes you smell like a curry, but I like curry!) from H&B, plenty of skin/skin (wore baby a lot), big bowl of porridge as oats induce lactation.

However, it's normal for your supply to change and calm down so you're not comstantly producing milk like some kind of lactating geyser from around 4m+, women often comment on feeling less "full", and some stop being able to feel their let down too.

Amy, first of all try not to worry as that will only make it worse (easier said than done I know). I can't recall when it happened to me, but the huge 'football boob' engorgement thing did decrease after a while & I still fed for a long time (15 months with No1 & 24 months with No2).

Your little one may be feeding more because he's getting hungrier and you are nearly at the point of starting some solids but milk will still be his main source of nutrients until he turns 1. I'd keep an eye on it and of course check his weight gain. Maybe pop into a breast feeding cafe if you are really worried but the best way to stimulate milk production is simply to keep on feeding. If you take the 'mothers milk' eat well and try to stay relaxed I'm sure all will be well.

Big hugs. Xx

Just to reinforce what's already been said. I'm losing the football look now and baby is 4.5 months), it has happened with all babies. A pain really, as it's the only time in my life I have anything close to cleavage!

P x

Around 5 months I began to feel less full, I think it's almost certainly nothing to worry about and very usual at that age. I also stopped wearing pads around then. I have never had any problems with supply though and still feeding now at 22 months. Boobs are now smallest they've ever been but I still managed to squirt myself in the eye checking if I still had much milk the other day! That's a weird thing to admit/do I grant you...

I lost the fullness around 2/3 months and have stopped wearing pads since then baby is 4 months now, i thought the same about my milk supply but baby was putting on weight i just couldnt feel the let down anymore.. My problem is foremill/hindmilk inbalance so my little one seemed to be getting hungrier then i realised it was because she was getting more foremilk then hind try feeding baby on one side for longer if baby doesnt sem full?

I lost the full feeling at 2 months. My little fella is nearly 17lb at 3 1/2 months so I don't think he's going without [he's exclusively breastfed].

I did get worried when it first happened though.

I had the same and, as others have said, it did not affect feeding (I continued until 18 months). Around the 5 month mark I did also notice more hunger and a significant interest in other food, so we started with some solids around 5 1/2 months.

If you do feel like you'd like to try and boost your supply, I can recommend the Contented Calf Cookbook which you can buy at The Dish & The Spoon cafe in Nunhead and probably also in Rye Books (as well as online). It's a book of recipes for breastfeeding mothers which have been developed to incorporate lactogenic foods.

Thank you for all the comments everyone. Last week he was showing signs of slight dehydration with fewer wrt nappies and very constipated (usually very regular, a few bug nappies a day) dropping his poop nappy to every two days. Sorry, TMI!

I fed my first one for 18 months and always had so much milk that this was so unexpected. I'm going to try all the tips suggested and see how we get on.

I was just about to post about the same issue. My 5 1/2 month old gets very easily distracted now, when I am feeding, and I was wondering whether that was leading to her not taking as much each go, and therefore my not producing as much now.

She is waking up a lot more in the nights than she ever did before too.

I have started her on a few solids, which she seems to like. She can see her big sister eating meals and so wants to do the same, but I need to keep the milk flow up, because she won't take from a bottle.

I am also very tired now, because of the extra night feeds, and the big sister is waking up early because of the lighter mornings, and lighter evenings.

I was worried that that was also having a knock-on effect.

Hi

Just remembering a few things from a lactation consultant course i did a while back....

about the boobs, the huge-boob effect happens as your body just gets more used to producing the amount that your baby needs rather than going into production overload in the first few months

your baby's feeding patterns will change over the first year, and beyond. extra feeding and suckling can be your baby's way of stimulating you to produce more milk so try and let him suckle as much as he wants to. he might also be on a growth spurt.

if you are also looking after an older child, there might be knock-on effects of tiredness, or not as much time to take over feeds as you did with the first one. try and have one long cuddle-feed a day.

hope this helps

I found when I was exhausted my milk supply went down so get someone to mind baby for a few hours, go for a beauty treatment or swim, something really relaxing and get some sleep. Plus watch what you are eating - in terms of making sure it is enough. Dieting can affect milk supply too. Simple changes will hopefully work for you. Good luck!