Recommended lactation consultant / night nanny

Currently on baby number 3 (with twin 2 yr olds) I recently hired Annette Sawatzki who is a local lactation consultant and maternity nurse. It was mainly to give me a couple of good nights sleeps (I express milk as well as b-feeding so easy to hand over a feed or two). For anyone having breastfeeding woes or generally needing support with the early weeks of a new baby I'd definitely recommend her. She's a lovely, gentle woman and even though it was a pretty small job she really took the time to get to know me and my family and was very helpful. She has a website Www.annetzki.com

Yes that's right - and there is the bonus of not going via an agency so fairly reasonable. I'm not sure how much she has done with twins. Speaking from my experience with my twins (now over 2) I'd definitely get some night help in the first month or two - and go for someone who has done twins before. It will help keep you that bit more sane and more able to continue breastfeeding as well, keeping your energy levels up. Good luck - the first few months are really tough but having twins is special and keeps getting better!

I can see she is a certified lactation consultant, but I had always thought that trying early on to express/use bottles or skip

Night feeds were both tactics likely to impact unfavourably on breast feeding success

I also had twins, and did the nights myself ... My tips would be get good day time help with other children for the first 4-5 weeks, and a cleaner, just feed, feed, feed

Have a comfy feeding chair and a twin feeding pillow/sofa, possibly a single feeding pillow too .... And cosleep ASAP!

Hi - every baby is different, and in the first few weeks I don't think it works to skip feeds while you're establishing apply. But you can have someone bring you a baby, change nappies, resettle etc without doing so. Also my three children have had bottle and breast from the start with no problems and Ive actually found expressing keeps my supply up (though would thoroughly recommend renting Medela symphony pump) As with the twins i express at 8.30, go to bed, husband feeds 10/11pm one and I do night one so I get more sleep. But it is about working out what works best for your baby and not putting too much pressure on yourself!

Melissa, agreed re the other help at night being useful. :-)

I do worry a bit though when I see people arranging night nannies from day 1 without realising it may prevent their milk supply ever establishing ... If bf is important to them