Local honey and hayfever?

givemecake

Hi all,

I'm really suffering with hayfever lately and antihistamines don't seem to be working. I can't stop sneezing and it's driving me mad! I've heard that eating local honey can relieve symptoms - has anyone tried this? And does anyone know where I can buy locally produced honey? I'm desperate!!!

Honey didn't seem to work for me, but you can get some from the Blackbird bakery or from the farmer's market when that comes around.

Apparently it's a bad summer for hayfever. Have you tried changing your antihistamine in case your system has got used to the current one? I sometimes find by the end of the summer that mine seems to stop working.

Other things that worked for me are Piriteze nosespray, or if you want to avoid steroids you could try a Luffa nosespray and tablets (herbal, should be able to get both from Health Matters) and/or (credit crunch solution) wipe a little vaseline around the inside of your nose with a cottonbud at intervals all day to trap the bits as you breathe them in - I've been doing it recently and it's a great help when you're cycling. Or Sainsbury's has got a new kind of non-steroid nosespray on special offer at the moment, can't remember the name but I think it coats the inside of the nose in the same way.

Hope it helps.

I would also suggest trying a Neil Med nasal rinse - basically means you wash the pollen out of your nose so it doesn't irritate you. When my hay fever is at it's worst that's the thing that really makes the difference (on top of strong prescription only anti-histamines and a steroid nasal spray)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-SinusRinse-Saline-Nasal-Rinse/dp/B000A0S5KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340834101&sr=8-1

Hello There,

I've only ever been affected (since 11 years old) during Wimbledon fortnight so whats ever flowering around now does the damage.

I get extreme itching in my throat and eyes.

I discovered about twenty years ago that homeopathic euphrasia ( common name eyebright) does the trick.

I'm slightly sceptical about homeopathic remedies but I like the ones that have their roots in traditional remedies as eyebright does. You can buy eyebright (euphrasia) as an eye wash and this also helps to relieve my symptoms.

I now take the remedy (30c euphrasia) for a period of about 3 days and that knocks all my symptoms on the head for the duration of the summer with an occasional 'top up' dose in extreme weather/pollen situations.

Hope this helps.

K

Probably best to go to a qualified homeopath for advice tho!

I too suffer. I take piritese (although doesn't work much) and use an acupressure band (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qu-Chi-Acupressure-Band-Clinically-Hayfever/dp/B001F0QBOS) aswell. Both working together helps ease the symptoms.

I believe with honey you have to start with that a good while before the period in the season where you suffer starts which isn't helpful when the honey isn't available then.