Pram dilemma - toddler and newborn

Looking for some advice from the Forum re my pram dilemma.

I've currently got a Bugaboo bee which I love, and so does my 2-year-old. We also have a maclaren that lives in the car, not in love with it but it's very handy for short trips, holidays etc.

We're very reluctant to get rid of the Bee and had been planning to try and get by with a sling and wheely board for the first few months, and one pram each for longer trips with both parents. However I wonder if we will end up needing a double pram eventually anyway? I'm thinking a Phil & Ted's in that case as long as it will fit into our tiny car boot.

Looking at the dimensions of the Phil & Ted's however, it's so much wider than the bee and I worry it won't fit into our shared hallway unless I fold it up which seems very impractical with a toddler and newborn in tow.

What combination have others found most useful for this age gap (just over 2 years)? I suspect my toddler would get very jealous of the baby in 'her' pram but equally, she may be really happy walking and riding on the wheeled board - impossible to know until the baby is here I suppose.

Some of my friends have all three but we simply don't have the space for this in our house.

I'd definitely try without a double at first if you're looking to save space, and you'll save money too! At least you'll have 3 options: either buggy and board, buggy and sling, or your 2 singles (with 2 adults!). Can't think of any doubles out there that are as narrow or fold up as small as the Bee, so don't fork out just yet - see how things go! You never know, your toddler might rise to the occasion and happily sacrifice her throne to the newborn! Hope all goes well x

ps - just to say need for a double totally depends on your 2 year old's character and how much walking you do!! My 3 yr old still hitches a ride on longer walks (and I sometimes need a place to imprison him!). He was just under 2 when baby 2 came along and we used a double full time for at least 6m, and then it was winter and he didn't want to walk in the cold. He also steadfastly refuses to ride on or stay on any type of buggy board (even a fancy scooter version) even now, and I find pushing prams with buggy boards on them ridiculously annoying. But I know many who have managed without - especially with girls :-)

I never really got on with a double buggy. I have a son (now 3) and a daughter (now 1) and did the sling and buggy combo for the first 2-3 months, always encouraging my 2yo to walk as far as possible before swapping the baby into the sling. Then we got a scooter for the older one. If he needed a lift on the way up big hills or anything, then he holds the side of the buggy.

I found this set up much more practical than a double buggy. I had a phil & teds sport double, and didn't like it much at all.

I bought a double buggy.. insisted on a rear and forward facing side by side (First Wheels City twin) which I love.. but very BIG.

Anyway toddler now 2 1/2 and baby 6 months and toddler insists on walking/ scootering/ riding balance bike everywhere and I have buggy board for tired journeys home.

No need for double buggy at all. It's just gathering dust in front room.

See how you get on without one as the transition from barely walking long journeys, to running along ahead of you is quick!

I'm with SB, depends very much on your child as well as how you travel. I thought that we could do it with a cheap double / sling buggy option as we would not be using it much but it didn't work. My two are 2 y 8 months and 8 weeks. We ended up buying a P & T classic and it is useful. I mainly use it for longer journeys and the nursery run.

I needed it as we live on a really busy road and I didn't always feel like I could keep a good enough grip on my daughter while she was holding my hand, we don't drive so all our journeys are on foot / bus and also I need to sometimes contain the bigger one when she is having a tantrum or refusing to walk.

The P & T is heavy and I don't love it, like I love the Bee but it does the job, has decent shopping space and it relatively nice to drive. I do find it hard getting up curbs with it, especially on hills (I live near the Horniman). Also like that it will convert to a single one day. Even though it seems massive compared to the Bee I think it is one of the narrowest doubles.

Good luck

I had intended to stick with my single buggy for my almost 3 year old (hopinghecwoud soon start walking everywhere) and put the baby in a sling....well this years weather put pay to that! A couple of disastrous attempts at going out meant tht After about 6 weeks of barely leaving the hOuse I bought a phil and teds vibe. I'm glad I did as life is much easier with the double.