Suspect man trying peoples doors...

gk

feel a bit bad for not writing this sooner but a man tried to get into my apartment building about an hour ago on Sternhall lane. I was just about to leave the building when I saw him at the door. he glimpsed me and started to bang on the glass. So I turned on my heels and walked back upstairs to my flat.... I knew instantly that something wasn't right (plus I know everyone in the building). My instinct was right because when I went out onto my balcony which looks over sternhall lane, I saw him try every residential door on the lane. He was moving his way up towards the Dermott Road area...basically away from Rye Lane towards East dulwich, perhaps.

Filed a report with police. Was meant to get a call back from local officers but still no word.

He is a white man, definitely over fifty, bald head. Not a massive frame, probably under 6 foot wearing a dark hooded jacket and tracksuit bottoms with trainers.

Might be an opportunist looking for an open door so keep and eye out and keep your front door locked.

I'd have phoned 999, given them the facts, and left the prioritising decision to them. The case seems to me to fall within the third of these descriptions of when 999 is appropriate: ( http://www.met.police.uk/ccc/emergency_nonemergency_calls.htm )

- There is a danger to life or a risk of injury being caused imminently. Examples include serious road accidents, assaults or serious disorders.

- A crime is in progress. Examples include assault, burglary, and theft or if an offender is still on scene, or has just left the scene.

- Police attendance is required immediately such as to prevent a breach of peace, someone acting suspiciously or someone who is about to commit an offence.

On your evidence a PC would imo have sufficient grounds to question such a person, and to search and arrest them if having due suspicion of an offence. If the person has any stolen property or burgling tools on them there might even be a result. At worst, the person is going to be made more aware that attempted opportunity theft has its risks, and the police will have the identity of a possible miscreant.

It's a tough call whether to dial 999 or not. I had a similar situation recently when I went into my neighbours' garden to ask two men what they were doing there. They left quietly and I called 101 (non-emergency number). Got a visit from police 40 mins later, which I thought was good. And then lots more follow up in pm when it became clear neighbours' car had been broken into and keys stolen from it. The police were clear they would have been fine if I'd dialled 999, but they agreed it was more suitable for 101.