Advice re transporting child via bicycle?

JS33

My nearly four-year-old daughter will be attending a school a ways away from us and I am considering taking her to/from with a bicycle, since our public transport options aren't very good and we don't have a car. Any advice on what sort of kit to use? I'd like to get a fairly simple/lightweight bike but haven't purchased a bicycle in over 20 years so don't know what I might want, and am completely flummoxed as to what to put her in -- front seat, back seat, trailer, front basket-thing. A very short part of the trip will be on a road with heavy traffic, but I should be able to use sidestreets for the rest. One consideration is that, especially if the equipment is expensive, I'd like to be able to use it for the next few years, if possible. Also, I'm curious what people do to keep dry-ish when it rains? Slickers for everyone?

I use our bike loads to ferry daughter around. I think she's too old for a front seat but a back seat would be fine and easy for long distances. If you have to go on a busy road I wouldn't recommend a trailer or front basket, especially at school hours. Just get a classic ladies bike and get the seat at a bike shop. The seat should last for years, and I've had my classic ladies tourer bike for over 20!

In terms of rain, you need waterproofs but it's also worth working out your public transport options for those really rainy days when it would just be too much.

I'm getting a Christiania bike, which is a trike with a big box on the front for kids, but then I have 3 (kids that is) so might be a bit much for your needs.

We used to take our eldest on the back of the bike but once he got past 2.1/2 he felt too big. I'd try before you buy in case you find this with yours. It was probably that our bike/seat combo was wrong, I've seen plenty of people managing with bgger kids than that so it must be possible. Our child seat was a Hamax one that mounted on long metal poles to the adult seat post. Once he got big it was too bouncy and got in the way of the back wheel going over the ever-present speed bumps. (he loved it though!!)

Thanks very much for the responses! I've now heard the same thing about the seat making it more difficult to cycle from a few people. Does anyone know if there's anywhere around where I'd be able to test out a few different seats? I've now been to several of the closer by shope (BC Bikes, Brixton Cycles, Evans in Clapham and the shop a few doors down), but each seems to carry just one or two types of seat, and there didn't seem to be any way of trying them out.

If you are looking for something long-term, you might also consider a tandem. They are expensive, but, worth it if you are going to be doing it for many years. We currently ride with our kids on a tandem as well as a triple seated bike all over London . Tandems are safer and more stable than a trailer. Our youngest started when he was 3 and a half and he is 8 now. We had to place blocks on the pedals at first as he was too short. The bike will suit him/us prob for the next four years. If you divide the years of usage by the price it is reasonable.