Where to get a good kitchen worktop?

sophiesofa

Ideally we'd like a quartz worktop but we're thinking that's out of our price league unless anyone can recommend anywhere that's a good deal? Does anyone have any suggestions for anything cheaper than quartz but not wood, bamboo or laminate or know anywhere that does 'nice' laminate? I'm fussy but without a fussy persons budget! I contemplated making my own out of concrete but eventually realised I have no-where to make it!

Thanks for your reply Red Devil.

We can't decide which is part of the problem. We don't know if we should spend more for it to be more appealing when we want to sell and just because I'd love it more, or if it's not necessary or silly to do that. The quartz one I quite like is ?228 (one of the cheaper ones on that site) per linear metre but would need to add edge polishing, holes, templating and fitting for a quartz one, as I wouldn't want to mess it up at that price! It's a small kitchen so we need just over 4 metres in total.

Personally, in a kitchen I think it's always better to get a good quality worktop, one that will perform and last, and quartz is a good choice.

Have a chat with this company http://www.lbsstonecollection.co.uk/index.php?page=content&title=Quartz&cms_id=63

They should be able to give you an idea on price, and don't be afraid to haggle them down within reason.

Unless you go for a cheap laminate or more workable timber, it's best to let the supplier template and fit. Templating is important as walls very really tend to be flat/square...

I would agree with red devil and is possible, not scrimp on the quality. If you are reselling in the near future you should keep the colours neutral, but invest in a good qualilty worktop as if you end up staying where you are, you will need to be happy and not look to change the worktop again.

I would recommend getting the suppliers to install the worktop as it can be tricky and you could end up with a kitchen woktop that needs replacing or worse ruined due to a poor cut.

I liked the look of these quartz worktops http://www.planetgranite.co.uk/product-range.html - not sure if that helps at all, I think these guys are nationwide.

• 7 months later...

Hi, we used granite net in vauxhall and although we love the worktop the fitting was awful. they didn't return calls etc to sort it out. Unfortunately we weren't in when they did it (had planned to be but had a family emergency) and my boyfriends sister paid them and they basically said it wa too late etc. they drilled the tap hole about 10cm off plan so we had to cut up the cupbaords etc and they didn't fit to our Victorian not straight walls so badly that my boyfriend had to put a thick layer of plaster on before tilting otherwise there have been a massive gap behind. Also the join on a corner isn't the best but other than that it does look really good so I do recommend quartz but not granite london!

Apologies for typos- I'm on my phone

• 1 month later...

Archived