DVIS and DHJS - information from the School Offices

I'm starting another thread on this subject to share the information that I have had from the school offices of the Dulwich Village and Hamlet Schools.

Last year, the furthest distance for a non-church place for a child without a sibling at the Village school was 636m

At the Hamlet shcool it was 874m

Last year, 75 of the 90 children at DVIS went on to the Junior school.

For the last 3 years of admissions to the Hamlet school, the furthest distance for a non-sibiling applicant has been approximately the same as the furthest distance for a non-church, non-sibling place at the Village school three years previously. However, these distances are measured from different points. I think this means that, although a lot of people comment on how the Junior school has a wider "catchment" than the infant's school, that is comparing one year (e.g. 2012 for both schools) and not the same school year for a child (e.g. 2009 for infants compared to 2012 for the juniors).

The whole school application thing is making my head hurt, so I'm not sure I can put myself through doing it again in 3 years time. Any comments from people who are/have been in this situation. Are the schools really so great that it's worth all the hassle?

My son has just started at the infants and it seems a lovely school. Can't comment further

It might be worth bearing in mind the September 2011 intake was a bulge year so there may be a larger than average number of sibling places in the 2013 intake.

You don't say how close you live to the school, but I guess it's close to the distance limit.

I'm in a similar position and to be honest I can't really see the benefit of trying to get a place at an infant school and then being stuck with no school place in Y3. I'd say that you'd be better off choosing one of the many other fantastic schools in Southwark.

Hello - totally agree with KatDew and in the same position with a son who has just started DVI. My son is super-excited every day and keeps begging to go to school all day long (Reception has a gentle introduction of half days for the first couple of weeks).

However, WishfulThinking - I'm pretty sure I was told that first round offers for non-sibling non-church places were under 500m for Sept 2012 start. I know people got in from the waiting list though from further away than that. 636m rings a bell though! Maybe that was for Sept 2011 start or included offers to people on the waiting list?

I suppose the "wider" catchment area for Dulwich Hamlet is based mostly on one factor - that there aren't any church places so the admission criteria is predominantly distance (i.e. there are twice as many places avaialable based, mostly, on geography). Although there are bound to be a few more elder siblings for Hamlet admissions as it's a four year school, rather than a three year school like DVI. I think it would be surprising if your child got a non-church place at DVI and then didn't get one at the Hamlet at 7 - even if you're nearer the DVI measurement point than the Hamlet one.

A significant number of families send their children to DVI and then to fee-paying prep schools after that though. Just something else that might explain why only 75 out of 90 children from DVI went on to the Hamlet. (Or move out to the country to be near good grammars at 11...)

DVnewbie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it would be surprising

> if your child got a non-church place at DVI and

> then didn't get one at the Hamlet at 7 - even if

> you're nearer the DVI measurement point than the

> Hamlet one.

>

You made some really helpful points about families moving etc, and that might explain some of the children not getting places at the Junior School. However, both the infant school and the junior school have told me that every year there are children that are left without a Southwark school place after the transition at year 3, and that can include non-church, non-sibling applicants to the infant school.

Some familes transfer their children from private schools to the Hamlet Junior school, and also from other local primary schools too, not just from the infant school across the road.

It is quite a big issue for me as I tend to worry about not being able to plan ahead!!

DVnewbie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Eeek. Am worried now..! Maybe I've been a bit

> too complacent then! Yes, of course, lots of

> people can move into the area too.... Hmmm.

And move out, as you said already. I didn't mean to worry you!

In answer to the OP's question about whether Dulwich Hamlet Junior School really is that good - I would say definitely it is. I transferred my daughter from another local school where we were very unhappy with the standards of teaching and discipline, and couldn't believe the difference. She had a brilliant education at Dulwich Hamlet, and I don't think she could possibly have had a better education if we had paid a fortune to send her to one of the local private schools.