Advice on making a nannshare work

We've just started a nannyshare with another family who have not nanyshared before (I'm a first timer too). We've found the nanny througb a local agency and it all seems to be going OK, although it's only been 2 weeks! I wondered whether anyone has any tips and advice on how nannyshares work. I am hosting at my house (the children are 14 mnths, 2.5 years, 3.5 years and 6 years), so my baby is at home with the nanny the 2 middle children are preschoolers and attending 5 mornings a week and the 6 year old is at school). We are sharing the hours and costs 50/50, but wanted advice on things like food bills, heating bills, wear and tear on the house etc..? Any advice anyone has greatly appreciated. Thanks Sarah

We had a nanny share some years ago - like you, it took place at our house. What this meant in practical terms was that over the course of several years the other child ate - for free! - at our house. The other family were lovely people and their child was a delight, but it was a bit of a niggle for me and I would strongly recommend that you havde an early, upfront discussion about all these practical issues (we didn't) so that you can preempt any potential resentments...

Thanks for your note. We are splitting the food costs 50/50 and the nanny has been allocated a kids food cupboard, 2 shelves in the fridge and 2 drawers in the freezer, so she only uses food from these. Herbs and spices. milk etc are shared. We also have a kitty that we each share the cost of 50/50 for extras like fresh bread, groups ec...

Our experiences as a family that hosted a nanny share were: the "visiting" family (eg, not hosting) paid ?1 per meal to the hosting family. We initially tried to do 50/50 on food, but it got very complicated with some things being eaten by both kids and grownups, etc. We also did a pound per day per child for nappies, which worked out roughly fair as well. It was less stressful for the nanny as she didn't always have to remember whose nappies were whose etc.

We didn't address heating bills as we thought that the convenience of not having to drop kids off anywhere and having the nanny do all of the host family's children's washing compensated. We had a chat with nanny about not turning thermostat up really high and layering when it got really cold as I once came home to heating on 25, though.

The other key is just to communicate, communicate, communicate and to put EVERYTHING in writing. Our first nanny share eventually fell apart due to a misunderstanding of an informal arrangement after several months. If we had put it in writing, in the contract, I think it would have ensured that everyone understood the same thing and that nobody got any surprises (or if they did, they could just look back at the contract to remind themselves).

In our nannyshare, the other family hosted full time as they had a second child so logistically easier for my one child to go to theirs (our nanny collected him in the morning on her way, and then as our working day was longer, she and my son would come back and spend the last hour of the day at ours, so neither family were doing pick ups and drop offs). I asked the host mum to come up with a figure that would cover snacks and lunches, general nanny kitty (class fees, bus trips, etc), other kids supplies, and the fact that they would need to have their cleaner for more hours. We agreed on a monthly sum and I just set up a standing order.

I did supply nappies and my nanny would just collect more when she needed them.

Hope this helps. We loved our nanny share, and have only left due to our second baby arriving. I would really recommend nanny sharing.

Brilliant! Thanks so much....similar to our arrangement with the other family. The nanny starts her day with the other family and then comes to us to help with my 2. Then the other mom picks her 2 up on her way home from work. She also supplies nappies for her little boy on a weekly basis. We are splitting food 50/50 and have given the nanny a weekly food budget for the 4 kids and she does the food shopping for the following week on a Friday. It's great to have reassurance that it sounds like we are doing the right things. The only thing we have left to sort is the energy bills. We have just enlisted a payroll company to do our payroll and tax, as well as draw up the contract. We're listing the duties in the contract but have also drawn up a lit of house rules so we are all clear of our expectations in our house. This isn't part of her contract, but her contract will state that it will incur disciplinary action if these rules are not adhered to (i.e. smoking, people in the house, etc etc). But you are totally right alos, communication, communication, communication!