Computer Science at The Charter Schools and Kingsdale

Does anyone know much about the quality of Computer Science provision at either of the Charter Schools or Kingsdale (or other local schools)? My Year 6 son is computer mad including Python coding. We might be in with a chance of both Charter Schools but I would prefer him to go somewhere where they have a strong Computer Science Department where he can work at greater depth. He could just do it himself I guess, but I would really appreciate it if anyone, especially if you have, or have recently had, children at any of these schools or other local schools, could enlighten me about what?s on offer. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
I think computing at Charter ED is good with enthusiastic teaching - it?s my son?s favourite subject. They entered all of year 7 into the Bebras computational thinking test last year, which was right up my son?s street. And pre-covid there was a computing/coding club after school, which I very much hope will start up again when things are more normal. I can?t really comment on the other schools though.

Charter is fine but the computer science curriculum in secondary schools in the UK isn't terribly exciting and needs an update. We ended up finding an online tutor to supplement with fresh ideas (AI etc) outside of the curriculum.

As an engineer I have mixed feelings about CS at secondary level.

On one hand anything that builds enthusiasm for engineering and science is welcome and generally we?d be better off as a country if everyone had a good foundational understanding of computing given its importance in every single aspect of modern life.

On the other hand, if you want to study computer science, computer engineering or electronics at university you?d probably be better served by further maths than you would be by learning about the latest programming languages or AI techniques with teachers who will not be experts in the field.

It?s a tough balance to strike for fast evolving subjects and particularly for computer science that seems to try to cater to so many audiences at once.