Christmas present ideas please.

Ramble66

Hello,

I have a few children to buy for this year, I can't afford to spend much this year (expecting my own LO) so was after some good ideas.

1 - 15 month old boy

2 - 22 month old girl

3 - 10 month old boy (in Oz)

4 - 18 month old girl

5 - 5 year old boy

6 - 7 year old boy

7 - 6 year old boy.

Crap hadn't added them all up. Maybe I'll do a book people order? Any suggestions much appreciated!!

For the youngest four I'd go for a pack of books (Julia Donaldson, Lynley Dodd, a themed set about bears etc), and divide up, say two per child. Books are always welcome especially those ages. Amazon, Book Depository, Play.com which all have loads.

For the oldest I'm sure books would be great too - and there'll be others who can recommend good ones as I only have a 2.3 year old. I'm getting him You Choose which looks brilliant and think it's definitely a bit older than he is now - others may know if it'd suit a 5 yo.

Another great site is netpricedirect.com which has lots of lovely and very reasonable wooden toys, you could buy a pack of 6 wooden cars or cupcakes for example and divide up.

If you have more to spend per person the WOW (plastic but battery-less) toys are great for the youngest 4 and super hardwearing.

Have fun shopping!

For the little ones under 2 who are too young to take it all in clothes particularly PJs, tights and jumpers / t-shirts - as a parent these all great and least able to go wrong on. For sizing just take a punt at rounding up to older than their age.

15mths go for 18mth - 24mths or 2yrs

22mths go for 2-3yrs

10mth go for 12mths to 18mths or 1-2yrs

18mths go for 2-3yrs.

Depends on your budget JoJo and Gap more expensive, Next and Boots middle of the range then the supermarkets and BHS cheaper with nice bits and pieces.

I am rubbish for boys but would suggest cars or boys dressing up.

We normally go with PJs for all the cousins - it's one of those things that seem rather like a luxury item (to me at least) and you can usually get a pretty good deal on characters / patterns that the kids think are cool. I had an aunt who always got us pyjamas and we loved it (especially having early pyjama night on Christmas eve - we always opened presents at her house on Christmas eve afternoon and got into pjs the minute we got home).

• 11 months later...

Magic Box Company:

?20 a box or sign up for ?16.95 a month and buy someone an annual subscription this Christmas. They will receive a box each month that will take them on a wonderful journey of discovery.

About us

The Magic Box Company began life in 2013. At Magic Box we aim to help busy parents create imaginative and creative play experiences for their children. We've done this by creating a box with everything you need to set up a unique small world play activity, a fun craft opportunity, some messy play time or an educational challenge in a matter of minutes. Not everyone can channel their inner Mary Poppins or make good use of those hours watching Blue Peter presenters create magic out of complete junk.

As an early years teacher I get to spend hours thinking up and creating some wonderful resources for my children to use in class. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing my endeavours spark their imaginations and transport them off into a world of discovery. In a world dominated by too much screen time and less interaction we are in danger of crushing creativity and a child?s imaginative development before it has even started to grow. Of course some TV and computer time is great but balance is so important. Some children?s activities tend to be top-heavy in the screen time area and it is essential we give our children a little bit of everything they need to grow into imaginative and creative individuals.

A child?s brain develops more rapidly in the first 5 years of life than it ever does again, forming so many connections between the left and right side of the brain and essentially establishing its ?ability? to learn new information in the future. A child left with no stimulation or enriching playful experiences is going to learn more poorly after the age of 5 than a child who has been played with, talked to, read to and stimulated on a regular basis. They need to interact with toys, materials, books, multi-sensory experiences and nature in order to develop real building blocks for learning.

I understand kids only get one chance at childhood ? and how easy this is for busy parents to forget. Like all parents we want our children to have the best possible experience - it?s a window of opportunity to equip our children for adult life, as well as a rather magical time we should all treasure. In an ideal world parents would have time to dream up ways to stimulate imaginative play with their young children but in the real world when you can hardly see your floor for toys and all you want is a date with your sofa it becomes increasingly impossible.

At the Magic Box Company we help you skip the time consuming part and help you leap straight into the fun and rewarding experience of engaging in imaginative and creative play with your child. We provide you with just enough to do to make each journey with our magic boxes personal to you and your child. Our boxes can be ordered for parties... They come in different shapes, sizes and colours and best of all they can be personalised if you want to give an extra special gift. you can choose your box for the purpose of pure fun, to help support your child in their learning or to help support a topic your child may be doing at school. Got a nanny or grandparents taking care of your little one for the day and want to ensure they have enough to do then provide them with a magic box and be rest assured that there tie will be full of fun and adventure. Going on a British holiday then take a magic box or two and watch the children spend hours engaged in their play happily on those rainy days.

We?re here to help you create some magical moments with your children and memories that will last a life time. It is the memory of my dad helping me finish that enormous cardboard castle with its? draw bridge and moat for the school project that sticks in my head. This was a rare moment and I remember him frantically searching for glue, scissors, and tape and running out to get some paint for me. The magic was in the doing and the being with my father. The fraught part was the searching for all the essential items. Who has time for that? Bored of giving the same old gifts to your nephew, best friend?s little one, and grandson then give them a little bit of magic in a box.

Magic Box Range:

Magic Science Box-Make a volcano, follow the recipe for slime and learn how every reaction has an opposite and equal reaction. The only reaction your child will have to this box is astonishment, amazement and sheer wonder.

Magic Phonic Box ? sight words, sounds, phonic games to play, building word challenges and lots, lots more.

Magical Time Box- Have fun with the mini time challenges. Make a clock or watch, learn about the most famous clock in the world ?Big Ben? and teach your child all about time. Time will simply fly by when you open up this box and create some lasting memories with your son or daughter.

Magic Messy Box: shaving foam, slime, magic snow, bubbles and lots of ideas to turn this sort of play into something magical for your child.

Magic Writing Box- Get your little one writing. This has lots of ideas to inspire some purposeful mark making activities at home. Use your box to make a mini post box and set up a post office in your child?s bedroom.

Dino Writing Kit magic box: Dinosaur egg, thematic writing paper, dinosaur fact cards and key vocabulary word cards, dinosaur non-fiction book and dinosaur small world and fossil excavation kit.

Small World in a Box (available in a portable mini suitcase for holiday times)- Be creative with your child and make the experience something different every time. Choose a topic or area of interest and put together a truly unique gift that will ensure your child is captivated and entertained for hours. Be it dinosaurs, space, mini-beasts or sea life, whatever it is, we can tailor it and ensure your child will be delighted when he opens his own special box. The gift doesn't end with what is inside; part of the fun is in customising the box itself to create your own little world for the small world figures to play in. We provide some ideas and all the craft materials inside the box for you to achieve great results and ensure your child?s imaginative ideas become a reality.

Please let me know if you are interested in any of these gifts and I will send you more information.