Gardening tips & repeat warning re dangerous trees

Gardeners world

Hello all. Lovely weather for gardeners!!!

This months tips start off with a repeated warning for trees in your gardens. The November winds have arrived with the rains. A lethal combination, as the ground gets softened & the winds push them over all too easily. I have already been called out to 3 fallen trees! So please get an EDF reccommended tree surgeon to give you a free survey of your trees, concerning their roots & branches. Good time of year to prune them now they are dormant & without their leaves.Have just discovered that property owners are responsible for trees on their land & the consequences of them injuring anyone if they fall!!

Still a good time before the frost gets in the ground to plant or move shrubs. Treat yourself to some winter or early spring scented evergreens or shrubs with berries & leaf colours, also conifers. NOT Leylandii!! Unless you want an argument with your neighbour!!

I know I go on about it, but please please rake the leaves from your lawns, or you'll be paying us gardeners for a new one in spring! Give the lawn a last mow & autumn feed ( not too much) then get your mower serviced.

Cover your compost heaps to stop them getting too wet, but keep adding your waste garden material to them

Check plants are well tied in to prevent wind rock ( a bit similar to glam rock, but not as harmful to the ears!) prune bush roses by at least half with clean secateurs & clear the leaves off the border.

Pruning of plants with leaf colour can be pruned hard now to produce plenty of new growth. Prune back coloured stem plants such as dogwoods too.

Remember to buy some good quality birdseed to feed our feathered friends & make sure it's well clear of the ground,so the cats don't get a free meal!!

If the weather forecasters are to be believed, it's going to be a hard winter. Considering we have had snow for the last 3 winters, they may well be right. So stock up on rock salt if you have a drive/path. Buy your toboggans before they're all sold out. Ask your local gardeners to come & dig you out if snowed in, keeping a more than reasonable glass of port to keep them going. If you find they've gone to the Bahamas, you're paying them too much!!

Remember if youre too busy shopping for your kids or your favourite gardener (subtle hint!) to carry out these tasks, then find yourselves a recommended gardener from the forum to do them. We'll all be grateful for the work.

Keep warm & dry & happy gardening.

Nigel 07961888253

• 3 months later...

Hi - how much would you charge to chop up & dispose of a tree that has sadly keeled over in the recent high wind?

I assume you have some references we can check also please.

many thanks, look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Esme

Thanks for the enquiry. I would need to look at the tree first as not sure of the size, but in order to cut costs, we could advertise the chopped up wood for fire wood on the forum, which helps things on an ecological basis too, as sadly the local dumps are nearly all private now & not only charge tradesman, but have a tendency to use green waste for landfill!!

Give me a call/text, & I'll happily pop round for a look

Nigel

Archived