Dcps nursery assessment how do I train my child. Any idea what's in these assessments.

Janmo83

Train???? They're only 3 :)

Both my kids are there and I have absolutely no idea what happens in the assessment!! Like with most things with kids aged 3 it's how they wake up in the morning and whether they decide to play ball. I think assessing at this age is a joke but hey they have to choose some way don't they? I think the only thing that you could help with is separation and make sure that s/he is ok with leaving you as they do basically pluck them out of your arms and take them into a room (in a very nice way) so honestly, I think that's the only thing you can "train" for

The form we had to fill out for the assessment asks for details of the nursery that our son is currently attending. It then asks whether they can contact the nursery. I have ticked "No" as we haven't yet decided whether to stay at this current nursery or go to DPL (formerly known as DCPS)

Hi, I agree with pebbles. The main thing is if he's ok being away from you! A few years ago they used to do the assessment on a one to one, asking the child to follow instructions, understanding of next to, under etc. Yet now all the children are in the hall together and I think it's more of an observation to see how they interact AND what they choose to do! But it is all behind closed doors!

• 4 weeks later...

Well there are things that you can assess in a 3 year old ...its just more difficult to discern BETWEEN children (i.e. very bright and bright or 'just plain average'!) except if there are specific or general learning difficulties where at 3 they might seem impaired but may grow out of it/develop at a later stage. There is actually an objective 'IQ' test (WPPSI)that just about covers this age group, but it can only be administered by a chartered clinical psychologist and they DEFINATELY wont be employing one for the entrance tests!!! Still you can google it to give you an idea of areas that can actually be objectively measured and compared.

SO what can 3 year old do? well I'm sure you can answer this yourself when you spend time with them. Do they seem curious with new objects? Can they name a few colours? Can they relate a story about themselves or family? Can they draw at all (e.g. their family)? Can they name a few objects from pictures and perhaps identify (some)letters/numbers? Higher end might be identifying what is wrong with a picture (e..g missing leg off a chicken) or do they get the gist of a story that you have read them? (did they even listen???)

Finally, and perhaps being slightly cynical here, but what they are really looking for: can this child sit during reading time and listen, is he interested in other children and does he listen if I talked to him one on one? This makes for a very receptive and easier class to teach. Hyperactivity is relatively normal in some children up until the age of 5 or 6 ...but can be a bit disruptive if you are not prepared to wait that long from when they are 3!

good luck