Help connecting old HiFi to Alexa/Echo

Sue

I have quite an old HiFi system. It doesn't have built-in bluetooth.

I was given an Amazon Echo 8 Show for Christmas (hooray) which will be in a different room.

I want to be able to play music stored on the hard drive in the HiFi on the Echo, and preferably to be able to hear it in both rooms at once.

My sister-in-law says I can put a Bluetooth thing (technical term) in the headphone port on the HiFi and then that will connect with the Bluetooth in the Echo.

I have done some googling and I don't understand exactly what I need. Also, there seems to be quite a lot of advice the other way (eg playing streamed music via the Echo on the HiFi) which also involves attaching a bluetooth thing to the HiFi, but it seems to be a different kind of bluetooth thing.

Can anybody help? What exactly do I need to buy? I was hoping to find something in the sales, some of which end tomorrow!

Nice link - I've never really controlled my Alexa however - I got it to switch lights (Hue) on and off and the TV but they're built for it and Samsungs are quite easy to set-up

She's been saying "You're a great friend" all year and today I replied "Alexa You're a great friend" - she was obviously waiting for this as she played the theme tune from Friends.

You may have worked this out already and sorry I can't recommend any specific product but make sure you're looking for a Bluetooth device that can transmit. The Alexa is just acting as a Bluetooth (receiving) speaker in this case. Unlikely that you will be able to play back to both rooms simultaneously I would have thought as whatever is plugged into your old stereo is likely to mute the speakers.

Thanks all, and yes ed_pete you are quite right.

I think I am probably going to stick to playing "my" music in the living room and playing "Amazon's" music in the kitchen ....

JohnL, I have found out what sounds sloths make, and also that the only swear word Alexa seems to know is "knickers". (Childish I know, but highly entertaining :)) )

Sue - this isn't an answer to your specific question, but your post probes at an outcome that I think you should explore further

Having music/radio/podcasts/tv come out of different/same speakers across a house/flat is fantastic and has really opened up my listening habits

Don't just write this off. Listen to stuff you like on that Amazon speaker - if it sounds good look at adding other deviced in other rooms - if they are all Amazon then you will have an ecosystem that can expand (There are different concerns about Amazon/privacy whcih shouldn't be dismissed lightly but your mileage may vary)

If the amazon speaker doesn't sound great then other options are available - I've gone with Sonos and have loved it

Of course price is another concern - but let's say you are happy with the Amazon speaker - they often have steep discounts (50% +) and you could ask friends to make them presents for example. And you can pair them as stereo speakers to get even better sound

But having a stereo in one room and no way of listening around the rest of the gaff seems quaint in 2021

Thanks Sephiroth, I completely appreciate the point you are making.

The bizarre thing (considering I run music gigs, or did pre-Covid) is that I very rarely listen to music at home these days.

However that's partly because I have never got round to properly sorting out the zillions of albums I transferred to the hard drive of the WiFi 🤣

However already I can see that I am likely to come across other stuff I like via Amazon.

But I don't think I'm likely to listen to music in other parts of the house (but who can tell ... ) because I'm mainly there when I'm either sleeping or doing something I have to concentrate on, and sadly unlike when I was doing my homework I can no longer concentrate on anything else with music playing in the background!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

I use Google not Alexa, so not sure, but wondered if buying a second Alexa and plugging your hifi into the line-up could work?

The following link seems to have 2 contradictory answers as to whether it would work.. but maybe worth a further google or contacting Amazon to ask them directly? (Not sure how much Alexa devices cost, maybe a bluetooth transmitter is more cost effective? Would that then allow multiroom?)