Advice pls on Sling/carrier for 9 mnth plus?

midivydale

Hi all,

My ds who is 9 1/2 is going through a hard time with virus after virus. Along with teething he really is very miserable and wants me to hold him 24/7.

I am doing this of course but my wrists are suffering (despite cortisone injections a couple of months ago).

Does anyone know of any slings (front carrier) that would be suitable for older babies?

I have a baby bjorn but it isnt great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There have been a few threads on this, here is a recent ish one:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,877979,878531#msg-878531

I'm personally evangelical about the Manduca; I only stopped carrying (except in emergencies and in cabs!) my hefty 2.4 year old because of my massive pregnancy bump - few weeks ago and at over 6 months gone! But hubby carried him in it this weekend (front carry) and often back carries him on walks in the woods. It's very expensive but totally worth it, suitable from birth to 3 so I am looking forward to using it with my newborn next year. It has fab resale value too - I actually looked at them on eBay this week and even second hand ones sell for upwards of ?65/70.

try looking into the sling library - http://southlondonslings.com/

the lady there is so so helpful.

unfortunately they don't open until till jan.

If you are stuck and don't want to rush into buying one, you are welcome to borrow my sling - Its for older babies/toddlers but I can't remember the make - I hardly ever use it and won't need it till march.

let me know if you need it! its tough caring a little one around all the time

I loved the Wilikinet sling for front carrying. And my daughter loved it because she could be forward facing. (Not all front carriers will let your LO sit forward facing.) The straps can seem a bit fiddly, but they allowed me to make a more secure adjustment and distribution of my daughter's weight than clip/buckle style carriers like the baby bjorn or ergo slings. I was carrying her until she was nearly 2 years old. I only stopped because she was a very large 2-yo, and I have a pre-existing back problem.

Why not advertise for a pre-owned sling in Forum family classifieds sections? You could probably find a few different styles at a fraction of the cost. I had 5 slings over the course of Little Saff's baby/toddlerhood. All were good for different things at different times. Only one of them was bought new! (And I resold them all on the Forum!!)

Did you carry little Saff forward facing til 2? That sounds painful! I don't think I would start forward facing your little boy at his age and size midivydale as it would put a lot of strain on your back and also at his age he should be able to see everything by turning his head slightly as he'd be high enough up. It's also not great for particularly little boys' groin area and genitals plus there are issues about sleeping in that position and overstimulation as hard to 'turn off' from things. I never forward faced my son (so he never knew any different!) but he was certainly involved in the world around him from his position (front carry, facing in) - ahhh feeling nostalgic for so many conversations with the old ladies of SE London!!

I liked the Boba 3G when I trialled it, and it has plenty of body space for growing toddlers, but the straps don't have the option of crossing over at the back (they do with Beco Gemini and Manduca) which for me was important as it gave me extra support to continue front carrying rather than back carrying.

Loans/trials are definitely the way forward! I can't remember if Boba is from birth but I do remember it being lovely and soft and organic. Also it's a bit cheaper than Beco/Manduca, although I reckon all will be reduced in the new year especially if you follow retailers on FB. When I tried it my son's legs didn't quite suit the stirrups - not sure if it was length/age/developmental as think it comes into its own for older toddlers and I probably tried it at around 11 months. Hope we are not bamboozling you too much OP!

I have a friend, a local Doula, who is also an accredited sling consultant (who even knew they existed?!).

http://www.birthsupportandmore.com/

She offers a service whereby she comes round to your house to let you try various types of slings to see which one suits you, your baby (size, weight, shape etc.etc.) & lifestyle best. She also does groups if you've got some mates that might be interested?

Another vote for the Manduca, I tried it at a sling library is it's great for both me and my husband. I use the front and hip carry for my 14 month old and she often goes on my husband's back when we're out. I liked the fact that it can be used from birth without any additional inserts.

I use a Patapum with my 11 month old, it's excellent. Can be used on front or back, on our recent trip to NZ we had 5 hours at Singapore airport and she was on my back most of that time loving being able to see what was going on. I also had one for my 2nd baby and used it to back carry until she was nearly 2.

bluesuperted Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you carry little Saff forward facing til 2?

> That sounds painful! I don't think I would start

> forward facing your little boy at his age and size

> midivydale as it would put a lot of strain on your

> back and also at his age he should be able to see

> everything by turning his head slightly as he'd be

> high enough up. It's also not great for

> particularly little boys' groin area and genitals

> plus there are issues about sleeping in that

> position and overstimulation as hard to 'turn off'

> from things. I never forward faced my son (so he

> never knew any different!) but he was certainly

> involved in the world around him from his position

> (front carry, facing in) - ahhh feeling nostalgic

> for so many conversations with the old ladies of

> SE London!!

No, not painful with the Wilkinet. The reason I stopped carrying her eventually was mainly because of strength issues associated with my pre-existing back problems, not pain. I then switched her to an Ergo carrier on my back, but she never liked this as much as the forward facing Wilkinet in the front-carry position. The Ergo didn't give me enough support around my torso, and always really hurt my shoulders. Also, it put Little Saff's hips into a "scooped" position that was difficult for her to manage. This may have been because she has a proportionately long back, not sure?

Little Saff didn't like the parent-facing position in front-carry slings. She had no problems "switching off", and could even sleep in the front facing position in the Wilkinet. Not a problem at all. She loved that she could see the world from my height and perspective, and she wasn't overstimulated at all. She is very much an extrovert. I actually think she finds the stimulation and interaction to be soothing! (Tough for me as I'm naturally more introverted -- the first of many mother-daughter personality clashes ahead?!)

The Wilkinet can give a lot of support around the trunk of the child's body, preventing too much pressure being placed on the crotch, so it shouldn't be a problem for either sex.

But of course, what worked for us might not work for someone else. Every parent-child dyad is different when it comes to slings, and that's why it's great to try a few different ones. I even used different slings for different tasks. The Hip Hammock was very useful for short carries, like down to the local shop or in train stations between platforms, because it was very easy to get Little Saff in/out quickly. But if I wanted a longer walk, it just didn't offer enough support.

DH never managed to get the hang of the Wilkinet. He did better with the Ergo. His shoulders are broader and his back is much, much longer than mine. Possibly because of that, Little Saff rode better in the Ergo with him than me.

The child's "seat" and relative position in the sling are also affected by the parent's body type and centre of gravity. So the sling that works for one parent may not be great for the other. The only way to know is to try!

Happy slingdays :)

I have a Boba G3 and I love it. I carry my little boy in it (parent facing on the front) who is 7 1/2 months but weighs almost 20 lbs and is long. He sleeps well in it, it has a little sleeping hood as well as lots of good pockets for your things and a purse clip and is not too bulky. I have carried him for a few hours at a time in it and have never had any back problems at all. Apparently it is a good sling for babies who are bigger and lasts until they get older.

Good luck.

We had the Beco Gemini which bluesuperted refers to for our son from around 6 months and still use it now to front carry (parent facing) him from time to time at nearly 28 months (although he's getting a bit heavy for me now at over 35lb and about 94cm tall!). A good sling which has worn and washed well and been comforable for us all to use. I do think though that if we ever had another baby we'd probably go for the Manduca instead.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to say I bought the Manduca after reading this thread, it arrived today and is brill. Previously had wilkinet and babybjorn and neither are a touch on this new sling. Manduca SO comfy and easy to use, we both have 10 month olds midivydale so I would recommend it for you too. I don't begrudge paying the ?80 price tag as you can tell where the cost has gone (design, ease of use, comfort). Wish I'd had it from the start! Can't wait to get out and about on the tube and bus without my pram! Thanks for the recommendation

It's fantastic isn't it? I was trying to persuade my husband that we actually *need* a second for carrying both baby and toddler simultaneously on walks etc... He thought this was slightly mental as we do have other sling options for that eventuality! But if we end up having a girl I might be tempted to get a lighter coloured/patterned one (basically I'm using any excuse!).

Happy Manduca-ing, it's the one piece of baby kit I'd save in a fire!!

Haha yes - I think you can easily justify a second! I got black but liked sand too...don't think I'll ever be able to justify another though!

It is so comfy and a lifesaver as I have one solo baby jogger and a 3 year old who was insisting on being pushed in the pram too, so the last few months I've been pounding the ground with a single pram and two little kids sitting in it! Now 3 year old can finally have the pram too himself!

Good luck BST if I don't see u before D Day! Exciting times! :-)

That sounds hard work with two in a Baby Jogger... O will want to climb on board the Manduca next you know!

Re: Back carry, I'm not great at these on my own as I just carried on with the front carry 'cos I loved it for ease, proxmity/chatting and also nap transfer. Probably other mums on here who do back carry with a Manduca though - and I just asked hubby (although men do seem to have extra skills in this department!) and he recommended:

1. Sitting on the sofa to put them on

2. Position them on your hip sat on waist belt, put one strap over loosely on opposite side (I think) and clip it and shuffle them round to the back, holding onto baby with your hand before doing other strap - this could probably be better explained and there might be a YouTube clip that's better here. As an additional variation to do this, men can cross the straps which secures baby quickly - obviously mums can't cross straps for back carry due to boobs but husband has done that a few times and doesn't mind it.

3. Toddler (not baby!) climbing onto sling with you having done waist belt and crouching down to meet them iyswim.

4. The old swinging over head technique - depends on your confidence and the temperament of your baby! E loves this but is a little daredevil and it's not a manoeuvre I'd attempt!

I'll have a quick look for YouTube now to see if any good clips exist...

Oh and thanks re D day (be that VBAC day or C day, still feels a while off at the moment!) I know my days with just the one are numbered now it's 2013!