Loft Life

ktk

Our loft conversion has recently been completed by loft life and i just wanted to write a review to say how pleased we have been with them. Right from the beginning they have been professional and hard working.

We were very lucky to get the amazing Dan as our project manager and he made the whole experience run smoothly. He was always on time, when we had a slight leak in the roof one weekend he drove a couple of hours to come and fix it, he always made sure everything was tidied away so that it was safe for our 2 year old and if we had an issue with anything he was quick to fix it without question. We hardly had any snagging when it came to the end of the build and any we did was dealt with straight away. For example we were a little unhappy with the banister and spindles on the staircase. Dan changed them straightaway and now they match perfectly!

I couldn't recomend them highly enough, we are extremely pleased with the end result and if anyone has any questions I would be happy to help as I know how daunting it is choosing a company you trust enough to carry out the work.

we also had loft life do our loft 3 years ago, and i've recommended them to anyone who'd listen. they were GREAT! i only wish they did stuff other than lofts, as we appear to have been stung in one way or another by every other person we've had to do work on our place!!

• 2 months later...
We were recommended Loft life by a friend and asked Spencer to quote for our loft conversion. If you want a no-faff, honest and informative survey, then Spencer will do just that. We spent much longer than planned talking through lots of ideas (some we hadnt even thought of) and the following day(!), we recieved the quote plus lots of other information. It was a really refreshing experience so big thumbs up from us so far.

• 5 years later...

What started as a positive loft conversion is slowly turning into a roofing nightmare where loftlife are refusing to take responsibility for the damage caused on my roof. Attached are photos of the way loftlife left my roof and for those interested the problems I have faced.

Since Loftlife have been on our roof we have been left with FOUR separate leaks in the roof.

1. Labourer knocked an existing roof tile whilst using the roof as a walk way to transport materials during the build. One weekend during the build we heard dripping and subsequently a wet stain on our bedroom ceiling. This was corrected by the labourer on the Monday however we were left to redecorate.

2. Small leak next to roof dome in new extension. S Lester Roofing reluctantly came out and appear to have fixed this. Time will tell. We were left to redecorate.

3. Leak directly under runout in Master bedroom. S Lester Roofing reluctantly came out and appear to have fixed this. Time will tell. We were left to redecorate. [since writing this has also leaked again so it wasn't fixed]

4. Leak directly under runout in spare bedroom (adjacent to master bedroom). Loftlife asking me to speak directly to S Lester Roofing who are accusing Loftlife of damaging the runout after he had re-laid it [Text from S Lester available] I paid ?1000 for a new runout.

History

http://www.lestersroofing.co.uk (Loftlife?s contracted roofer) came to install a roof on our new Loft conversion as standard. While on the roof he advised that our existing roof was in a very bad state and we needed a complete overhaul at the expense of around ?5-?7k. Although for ?1k he could replace the ?run out? which in his opinion needed urgent attention. I pay ?1k for this to be replaced and the top row of tiles to be re-laid. Image 3 attached was provided by S Lester Roofing when they came back to investigate leaks. S Lester Roofing had replaced/re-laid the top row of tiles.[Therefore this happened between him finishing the job and the build finishing while loftlife were the only people on the roof].

Shortly after S Lester Roofing finished the job and while scaffolding was still up I had a look at his work and questioned what had actually been done apart from some old tiles being relaid on the top row. ( I thought the agreement was new tiles on top row and a new run out. The runout looked no different. I spoke to the bathroom tiler Loftlife recommended who?s tells me he is also a roofer and he can take a look. He was also sceptical if any work had been carried out. I confronted Steve and was met by a barrel of abuse down the phone and the issue was left there. This was all during the build. Loft life then finished up their work and scaffolding came down approximately 3 weeks after this abusive phone call.

6-9 months after the build had finished a leak appeared in the master bedroom directly under the run out.

I call Steve.

After yet another abusive phone conversation and with the help of Spencer (at Loftlife), Steve sent his sons around (Fri 23rd Feb) to take a look at the leak and they identified the following;

? Tarpaulin covering a hole in the roof (Image 2 attached)

? Large hole in a tile (Image 1 attached)

No photos of the runout where provided by ?S Lester Roofing? apart from in image1 you can see green moss like area to the side of the roof tiles. This is the new runout. They did however provide photos of new tiles which they have used to replace the broken tiles which gives me some hope.

S Lester Roofing leave and I hope I have a fixed roof.

Just over a month later (Friday 30th March) a 2nd even larger leak in the next bedroom (photo attached) , again directly in line with the ?new? run out.

I get a second independent professional roofer to take a look (on Friday 30th March) and he identifies the runout as the cause of the leak and quotes quotes to replace it. He does not believe a whole new roof ids needed. He also questioned what work had been done on the run out. The same run out I paid ?1000 for a year ago.

Additional photos of the roof unearth the following on Friday 30th March

? Discarded Scaffold board (Attached)

? Discarded Satellite dish. I dare not ask. (Attached)

? Along with very old tin cans and a lot of moss on the supposedly new run out. (Attached)

I contact Steve yet again and he stands by his word that he left the roof as a job well done and the last person/people on the roof (LoftLife) damaged his work after he had left, by storing building materials on the run out. (Text messages available on request).

Loftlife say it?s nothing to do with them and the agreement for a new run out was taken outside of the new loft extension contract. But they are not offering any plausible reason why my brand NEW run out is now leaking, the damage done on my roof as per the photographs and they stand by Steve Lester?s excellent workmanship which appears to offer no guarantee.

I keep getting batted between Loftlife and Steve and getting no where. Roofer blaming loftlife and loftlife somehow saying its nothing to do with them?

Archived