Advice needed - kids holiday course - payment issues

Dear all, I'd really appreciate an advice on how should we deal with a payment for kids holiday course.

Before the first lockdown we paid ?110 for a 5 day holiday course which was subsequently cancelled due to the first lock down. Holiday courses are normally non-refundable however due to the unusual circumstances we were offered credit vouchers for future courses as a gesture of goodwill. This credit was valid up until March 2021. However there was no opportunity for us to use the credit before Match 2021 because of the whole covid situation.

Now they are offering us 50% value of our credit to use towards the May Half Term course 2021, which with their new prices doesn't even cover 3 day course (which is 90?) + it's fully booked so we are not able to use it anyway!

Are there any rules/laws to help us to resolve this situation, which I feel is unfair, especially as I'm a single parent and ?110 is a lot of money for me...

Many thanks for your thoughts and opinions (even if they help me to let it go :))

xxx

If you can prove your complaint, then name and shame usually does wonders to perk up the person in charge of customer relations.

Failing that, perhaps small claims tribunal? If you can prove that it was impossible for you to redeem the voucher due to government nation-wide restrictions then I am sure there is a bit of legislation somewhere which protects you as a consumer.

Good luck!

I believe that contract was frustrated (as it legally couldn?t take place) and therefore you were due a full refund regardless of the contractual terms. There?s been quite a lot of coverage of this issue around holidays if you Google it.

Did you pay on a credit or debit card? If so I?d go to your card issuer once you?ve been told in writing that they won?t refund you. Card providers tend to side with their customers as they don?t want the hassle.

Following that you?d have to make a small claims via Money Claims Online. It?s ?70 to actually file it, but you can fill in the claim online and then print that out with a covering letter saying you?ll file it if you don?t get a refund, that often focusses the mind of companies.

I think it might be worth speaking to Citizen's Advice - if you can get an appointment. I suspect in accepting the vouchers you actually lost your claim to a full refund under the frustrated contract method - but maybe not, and that's why I'd speak to CAB.

If it were me, tbh, I'd just write to them with a 'Letter before action' (google it) setting out what's gone wrong and why, stating that you have become aware that you ought to have been offered a full refund initially as your contract was frustrated, that their remedy offered is unacceptable because of XXX and that you'd like them to do YYY within 14 days or you'll begin proceedings in County Court. There are templates available online for the letter. I'd probably just ask for the full refund, but you could ask for a voucher to cover the lost value or cover a similar course (regardless of their increased prices!!). I think your money back would be easiest.

Good luck - and do post on how you get on.

Quite a tricky one as the holiday club probably lost money too. I would personally try and get them to extend the credit (in full) for a future holiday club that you CAN use - obviously pointless of them to offer something they cannot even give you, as it's booked up. Surely they should save a place for those who have lost out? You might want to point that fact out to them too. Hopefully you can find a compromise and get at least 50% voucher or refund back again. All the best!