Letting Dog out/barking in garden - what?s reasonable/unreasonable?

We?ve recently moved into a new place and a neighbour has a dog with

a really loud and deep bark.

Every day, it is let it out into the garden quite early (6.45am

Has been the earliest we?ve experienced in the 4 months we?ve been here) and in the evenings as late as 11pm, even later on occasion.

It might only be out for 5-10-15 minutes at those times but it barks very loudly, in bursts of 20 or so barks, enough to wake us up & our room isnt even on the garden side. We both work shifts so it affects us a lot. Tonight it?s been out the whole evening since the afternoon, still

out now, barking every few minutes.. it?s 10.50pm.

We find this pretty anti social, and possibly quite unfair on the poor dog.

Dog owners - is this the norm? Just want to check other?s feelings & thoughts on what is reasonable on this topic before we approach them about it. I?ve spoken with another neighbour who says it?s been going on for years and they?ve been approached about it but never done much about it and have been quite dismissive unfortunately.

Cheers

I?ve a similar issue. In fact I am convinced from your description it?s the same dog 😂

what I would say is when I approached my neighbours about this their entire argument seemed to be that no one else had confronted them about it - so I would say anyone struggling with this kind of noise nuisance should go to the dog owners to explain the impact it?s having.

I?ve looked into selling, and moving all my rooms around in the house so I sleep by the much quieter main road(!) - crazy really, when all they need to do is train their dog. I am a a dog owner btw, and I?d never allow my dog to disturb my neighbours like that. It?s the minority...

I think this sounds totally unreasonable. You expect a few barks here and there but this situation sounds extreme and like you have very inconsiderate neighbours. Not right! I also feel pretty sorry for the dog. I think you have every right to say something or report the situation in some way. Or perhaps approach other neighbours and unite?!

Its' really unreasonable. You should speak with the neighbour and perhaps some others nearby to see if they're being affected too. If there is a general consensus that it's causing a disturbance and the neighbours aren't doing anything, you could report it to the Southwark noise team.

I really feel for you - it's horrible to have to get in to a dispute (no matter how friendly) with a neighbour. It's very unfair of them to put you in such a position by imposing themselves on others in the way described.

actually, annoying as it is - dogs are allowed out to bark but not for longer than 5mins (or so) and not before 9am or after 9pm before it is considered a nuisance

its not considered abuse for dogs to be kept outside and the barking has to be monitored every day in order to make an official complaint.

You need to let the neighbour know. I've yelled out of my window to my two dog barker neighbours who have replied with "well, he likes barking" and have told her that we don't want to hear it.

Perhaps a little embarrassment but they are a little better now.

Hopefully your neightbour will respond positively, otherwise I'm afraid there is not much you can do apart from log it and report to authorities

Dog owners - is this the norm?

Yes if you're an inconsiderate owner. Probably one of the same owners who hangs their poo bags from a tree, dismisses the behaviour as the dog jumps all over someone as "oh he's just being friendly" and who's idea of "taking the dog out" is to kick it out the back door for 10 minutes.

No if you have a modicum of common sense, consideration for others and a desire to train and bond with the dog.

Sadly, I don't think you buying an anti-barking thing will do much, it's really something that the owners have to address. If they're not willing to do so, worth talking to other neighbours to see if they're as badly affected, keeping a log of the dates/times/frequency of barking and complaining to the council.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/how-to-report-a-noise-problem

Have a similar situation with a neighbour who had one and then a second dog. Lets them out first thing probably about 6 - 6.30am. As soon as they run outside they immediately bark for a few mins. This happens four or five times a day. I can hear them even when I'm sat in the front of the house. The barking noise carries forward. Has got worse since the second dog arrived about a year ago. They allow it to happen and have no consideration for their neighbours. But when they leave the back door open so the dogs can come and go, their is no barking. I think the dogs become so excited about going out that they respond with the barking. Earlier in the year they would let them out after 11.30pm t0 12.30am or even in the middle of the night as they were agitated by the local foxes and of course they bark. It doesn't last long but IMO is totally anti social behaviour.

Same for the neighbour the other side who sits outside talking loudly on her phone with earphones in, again her annoying whinny voice carries in the air, so damn annoying.

What to do??

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to hear your points of view.

It definitely seems that we aren?t alone in having this issue.

It?s a shame its a bit of a grey area and there isn?t a clear law on this.

Pugwash, these are definitely not Housing Association/LBS tenants. Fairly certain they own the house.

I think we?ll try to have a chat with them and see how we get on, and chat to other neighbours, as we?ve definitely got wind of it being a bone of contention.

It would be good to approach it before the weather finally turns as on the few warm weekend days we?ve had, it?s been even worse when everyone is hanging out in their gardens for the day. Bursts of barks, every 5/10mins, throughout the day.

We are dog lovers so absolutely no problem with the dog, just frustrating to get woken up morning and evening and can see it could make hanging out in the garden less pleasurable with a soundtrack of hundreds of barks!

It?s really hard to fathom how some people can be so inconsiderate & selfish - it?s almost as frustrating as the actual noise.

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to add that neighbours in my street have

> suddenly (during the lockdown) acquired a

> puppy/dog but don't seem to know how to look after

> or control it.

There seems to have been a lot of this - lockdown dogs. Slightly worried about what?s going to happen to them all when the new owners have to start returning to the office.

As well as talking to your neighbour, you could also have a chat with the RSPCA, not to make a complaint of cruelty/asb etc., but to see if they can help educate the owner about training, behaviour etc. if you are unable to make progress to resolve the disturbance. There is a local RSPCA office not too far away ([email protected]).

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> actually, annoying as it is - dogs are allowed out

> to bark but not for longer than 5mins (or so) and

> not before 9am or after 9pm before it is

> considered a nuisance

>

> its not considered abuse for dogs to be kept

> outside and the barking has to be monitored every

> day in order to make an official complaint.

>

> You need to let the neighbour know. I've yelled

> out of my window to my two dog barker neighbours

> who have replied with "well, he likes barking" and

> have told her that we don't want to hear it.

>

> Perhaps a little embarrassment but they are a

> little better now.

>

> Hopefully your neightbour will respond positively,

> otherwise I'm afraid there is not much you can do

> apart from log it and report to authorities

Jules-And-Boo

Thanks for that info on the guidelines. Would be great to know where you got that info, could be helpful to refer to it when we talk with them

Thanks

I think it would be difficult and pretty unrealistic to completely stop dogs barking before 9am or after 9pm. Dogs bark. It is natural. The only remedy to ensure complete absence of dog barks outside those times would be to ban all dogs. That said, allowing any dog to bark for more than a few minutes at a time is not great. Leaving the dog out to bark for hours on end is outrageous.

Many years ago when we had dogs, they went in the garden around 8 am, both muzzled but able to bark. They were out there around 10 mins or so during which time they barked. Neighbour adjoining garden complained to the 'Noise Team' at Southwark who visited us. Since the barking was only for a short duration in the morning and not any other time of day, they could not take any action and dismissed neighbour's complaint.

Absolutely not suggesting dogs don?t bark ever.

The discussion was in regards to what are reasonable and unreasonable times etc that owners choose to let a dog out into their garden, when they?re aware the dog has a tendency to bark a lot.

I?ve no problem with a few barks here and there, outside, within reasonable hours.

No, did not think you were suggesting that. It was more a comment on what may or may not be council rules/guidance re dogs barking before 9am and after 9pm, that was all. I think you have every reason to feel annoyed and hope you can sort things out with your neighbours. I also feel sorry for the dog.