Any recommended books on raising toddlers?

Wanhope

Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone has any books on raising toddlers they'd particularly recommend? We have a considerable pile of baby books, but could now really do with a few one-stop resources for ages 1 1/2 plus. Any suggestions? Ones focused on taming tantrums & encouraging eating would be especially helpful ...

Thx.

The Incredible Years (Carolyn Webster Stratton)- There are also some resources online for this book.

http://www.incredibleyears.com/Resources/parents-toddlers-program_agendas-checklists-handouts.pdf

Its full of hands on strategies and also goes over the principles of setting up good reward programmes which many parents say don't work as they can be tricky to get right.

Also another very new book published last year is Pride and Joy - A guide to understanding your child's emotions and solving family problems - Kenneth Barish

There is also Toddler Taming which is a popular book - haven't read it myself so can't comment.

Remember that one of the most effective parenting strategies is positive reinforcement (plenty of commenting on desirable behaviours) which parents often forget in their toolbox when things get tough.

Toddler taming is actually a much nicer book than it might initially sound. The title makes it sound like it is pitting your will againest theirs.

An awful lot of the book is about reasurance and setting the field. Using statistics/surveys to give us realistic expectations of a toddlers behaviour rather than hear say. It then has some practical solutions.

I quite liked it as a book

Toddler taming a def yes! Simple solutions, one I remember........"my toddler keeps taking chocolate from the fridge"......SOLUTION...don't keep your chocolate in the fridge! A really useful book, which also highlights normal toddler behaviour!