Research into maternity/children wear

loverabbit

hi everyone!

I'm just about to start up a business that may include maternity and childrens wear but I just wanted to see what people in East Dulwich thought was missing from the area

I know there are a few baby shops already that include maternity/ nursing wear but is there anything you would like to see on the shop floor?? are prices too high or just right?

all opinions would be much appeciated! just trying to get a feel for what is missing in the market x

LoveRabbit x

Re maternity wear - availability of long sleeves in winter would be nice. And an alternative to jersey, I know its practical, but I'm so sick of being jersey-clad!

(RuthN - Verbaudet and Serephine do 'before and after' tops and dresses, and not as expensive as I thought)

There's already lots for maternity/baby wear but definitely short on older children's clothing shops. Personally I'd say some of those that fail were way too expensive for kids clothing. Should be fun, decent quality and good value. As a Mum of 2 boys I also find most shops offer the same standard fair in brown, blue or khaki so stuff that's a bit different/funky is always good and there's not many places offering it.

As others have said, maternity and baby wear are all too expensive for the relatively short period of time they are worn for...?10+ for a single baby grow is too expensive (IMO) and has to be pretty amazing/personalised if I am to buy it as a gift. More likely to buy a lovely, even if more expensive, cardigan as a baby gift, as it is more likely to be worn for a longer period.

Oh, and more unisex clothes that are not just white/grey/beige....dull, dull, dull.

The general choice of clothes for boys (2+ years) is terrible, but what really gets on my goat is that although outside it is -5 and my son has lost his hat/mittens/scarf/grown out of his vests/torn his coat badly,just because it is the 2nd of January all the stuff out there is the spring/summer collection.