Dulwich & West Norwood Climate Coalition - petition for Boris Johnson

Dulwich and West Norwood Climate Coalition is a broad group of local residents and community organisations concerned about our climate. The UK has a responsibility to lead the world in securing the strongest possible agreement at COP 26 to tackle climate change, empowering us in the UK to make the right choices for our planet?s future and setting an example that the world might follow to avoid the worst impacts of catastrophic climate change and biodiversity collapse and put us on a better path.

Please sign our letter to the Prime Minister which will be delivered in person by local MP Helen Hayes and a representative group of local residents.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/dulwich-and-west-norwood-letter-to-the-prime-minister-for-cop-26-in-november

Nice one, although perhaps refer to him just as the PM rather than his given or full name. Well worded and hope that others on this site will sign. Copied below for info

INTERNATIONAL

1. Honouring the Paris Agreement Goals to limit warming to 1.5 degrees C through increased commitments and with immediately actionable policies.

2. Securing a renewed agreement to honour previous commitments to provide poorer countries with ?100 Billion every year from 2020, backdating the funding which has not been paid to date.

3. Acting on the latest IPCC report and immediately withdrawing the funding for all new fossil fuel based infrastructure in the UK and around the world.

4. Working with the international community to halt and rapidly reverse the decline of biodiversity and nature around the world to maintain and enhance our land and ocean carbon sinks immediately.

NATIONAL

5. Adopting the UN 17 Sustainable Development Goals for a fairer society by 2023 and ensuring that the formal measurement of the UK?s economic health takes into account impact on the climate and on wellbeing alongside GDP.

6. Establishing an urgent, detailed action plan to ensure that the UK meets the 4th, 5th and 6th carbon budgets.

7. Commit to fund low cost, low carbon transport across all areas of the UK.

8. Urgently establish an effective, long term funding programme for whole house retrofitting allowing it to be taken up at scale across the country, by councils, housing associations and individuals immediately.

9. Ensure that all young people receive a robust climate education and leave school equipped for zero carbon jobs and lifestyles.

10. Support all schools to retrofit their buildings and ensure that all new school buildings are zero carbon from 2022.

Would it be possible to know who is behind the group before I support it (or not)? When you click in the link to the campaign Facebook group it shows 7 supporters and says that only private members can see who is in the group? I?m always a bit cautious about group petitions when I don?t know who is organising them in case there?s a bunch of stuff over and above what?s on the face of it. Just because it?s sometimes held out to be support for the group as a whole rather than exact wording of the petition - have been burned in the past.

Hi P3girl

Not sure what's an odd ball share scheme about a community share raise which enables communities to own and manage renewable energy assets with surplus profit being directed to community benefit such as alleviation of fuel poverty. It's a well tried and tested method of raising finance to fund community owned energy projects. Around ?30million has been raised by communities about and down the UK to fund the installation of 320MW renewable energy. Here's our website. We are a transparent member led Community Benefit Society with the vast majority of our members coming from the SE24 area. You can see our board of directors on our website. If people want to take tangible action on climate change (as I know many on this Forum are) community energy is a great way of achieving this!

Legal Alian - D&WNCC are simply a group of locally concerned people, many of whom are connected to SE24 Community Energy. They recently held their annual conference in partnership with Lambeth Friends of the Earth where Helen Hayes and the Leader of Lambeth Council spoke. No hidden agendas at all I promise other than wanting to galvanise action of climate change!

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/together-we-create-change-tickets-172619990037

Really surprised that Legal and P3 didn't just do a Google search, plenty out there to show that they are legit, not a bunch of cranks, not scammers, and certainly not directly associated with the LTNs.

The Community Energy Scheme is interested and their are others doing similar across the country. I welcome those actually making a difference!

What have the LTNs got to do with it?

I was more interested to understand whether there was an underlying political affiliation, or whether particular climate lobby groups were involved, I did google but it wasn?t 100% clear, there were Labour reps at some of the events they had organised and I wasn?t sure that was because they were present as office holders (eg local MP) or whether there was more of a political angle, you can?t tell from the Facebook page (I did google before posting). I guess my real question is ?which groups are in coalition? to form the coalition if that makes sense.

Apologies but just to clarify SE24 is definitely not a registered company but a community benefit society, which is a Industrial and Providence Society. Similar to a cooperative but CBSs exist for the benefit of the local community rather than its members (which is what a coop is). They are registered with the Financial Conduct Authority not Companies House. We are in no way a commercial enterprise but simply trying to take local action on climate change. Nothing else. SE24 has no underlying political affiliation and we are governed by a set of Rules as per FCA requirements.