Ladies - interested in a "shwopping" event?!

AllyCat

I'm thinking about organising a Clothes Swap event in East Dulwich, and I'd like to know if there is much interest....

If you don't know what "shwopping" is, (sometimes called Swishing), you basically bring a number of (good quality) clothes you don't wear/want anymore, hand them over at the venue at a set time, receive a number of tokens according to what you have brought, then an hour later come back and use your tokens "buy" a whole load of "new" clothes.

I've got a venue potentially booked, so I'm now trying to establish if there are enough potential swappers!

Let me know what you think...

I'd be really interested. I have a number of good high street dresses (Reiss, Whistles) that have barely been worn but won't fetch anything on ebay. I also have some pretty good knee high boots (FlyLondon) that (again) have hardly had an outing.

I too would like to know how you decide what each is worth...

is it free or ticket? the idea is great, but i know some charge entry and i don't know if i'd pay ?10 to maybe be able to get some new clothes. i presume if there is nothing that fits or suits you then you just take your old ones home?

Hello again.... Thanks for the replies... Really helpful knowing there are some interested folk... I'll try and answer queries so far...

Georgia/Seema - thanks for your support!

Otta - I do want to post in the family room too... Just wanted to check with admin I was allowed too!

Luana - provisional date is Sunday 21st April

Pickle/Indiepanda... There is no way of knowing how many people will be of certain sizes I'm afraid... Just a chance I'll have to take.. Hopefully if of you enough attend there will be a good choice.. And yes, shoes and handbags will be allowed!

Alan Medic/Ellie78 - re quality of clothes, it would be me and team who decide what tokens clothes would get... I guess as an estimate items from Reiss/Whistles would be 'gold' whilst M&S, Debenhams, Hennes, Dotty P etc would be 'silver'.. I'm afraid no Primark allowed!

Canela - yes, there would be a charge, as I need to pay for clothes rail hire etc but I'm thinking it would be more like ?5 which I personally think is a fair price... And yes, you could take your old clothes home if you don't find anything you like! Hopefully that wouldn't be the case!

I myself have been to several of these events, some good, some not so great so I'm hoping to take the best of my experiences from them and make this a worthwhile event... If it went well then I'd look at doing them on a more regular basis.

Please do keep comments coming - it's all really useful for me...: )

I'd like to join in

Would shoes be allowed too? I have been bought pairs which I don't think I'll ever wear and I've been hoping for an event like this to get rid of them!

Also, what if someone decides to buy your clothes using tokens, though you didn't pick anything? You can't go home with what you came in with, so what would happen?

I have a lot of nice though unbranded clothes ( mix of ebay and korea/phillipines), would it be ok to take them anyway?

New to this, but I've heard optimistic things :3

Johanna x

Sorry, say that again... other people buy you unwanted shoes in such volumes that you anticipate having significant quantities leftover at the end?

This is a new phenomena for me. I am intrigued. It may be my age, but I have never come across the concept of buying shoes for other people.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

Well, an update for you all!

The fashion event is going ahead - hurrah!

Details are:

Date: Sunday 21st April

Venue: The Lodge (upstairs at the EDT, Lordship Lane)

Clothes drop: 12 noon - 1pm

Start swapping: 2pm - 4pm

Entry ?5

Attached is a flyer with more info on.... and I'll keep posting more info as I get it!

• 2 weeks later...