Famous folk from Dulwich

Sydney Carton

and environs

The Dulwich Society website has an extensive and fascinating list of notable past residents some of whose names are familiar: PG Wodehouse, Shackleton, Bessemer, Anne Shelton and the A-Z lady but who knew Lord George Brown lived in Court Lane, the inventor of Eno?s liver salts in College Road, Lord Haw Haw lived in Allison Grove and later Farquhar Road, and held hugely popular fascist meetings in Dulwich library?

Maxim, who built the lethal machine gun blamed for facilitating British imperial expansion but handy for fighting the Germans, also built a vast merry go round in his garden and lived at Ryecotes Meade. William Penney, father of the British bomb who when not building weapons of mass destruction was found on Sydenham Hill golf course and then there's Ronnie Reed MI5 master spy.

I went to school with someone called Alison Grove. Not sure if the road was named after her. I didn't go to school with anyone called Frank Dixon, I think he was in Brookside. Alison went to private school but joined us in scumbag 6th form when the money ran out, and was friends with Elaine Bird. Elaine had gone to ballet school, but was in my infants class. When we sang "little Bird, I have heard, that you sing so merrily" a the age of 5 or 6 I always substituted the words Elaine Bird. Imagine my surprise 10 years later to find out that Elaine was now rather large. My God what is this self indulgent twaddle.

Anyway good discussion on local musicians, that I may or may not have contributed to, in another planet in a far away galaxy:

https://www.se23.com/forum-archive/messages/9/425.html

Sydney Carton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and environs

>

> The Dulwich Society website has an extensive and

> fascinating list of notable past residents...

Thanks Sydney. Updating the list is on our to-do pile but here it is: https://www.dulwichsociety.com/local-history/797-who-was-who-in-dulwich

Our monthly local history talks also have snippets about famous or interesting residents. Check out @DulwichHistory on Twitter or the Bell House website (they run the talks for us and have some old ones recorded).