Southwark - have council tax rebates been paid yet?

Those of you who were eligible for the ?150 council tax rebate from Southwark, have you received it yet?

I'm lucky enough to qualify but haven't seen anything.

Their website says "We expect to pay all eligible households who pay council tax by direct debit by the end of April. We expect our phone lines to be very busy so please avoid contacting us."

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/council-tax/150-council-tax-rebate

The original intention from the Treasury was that this was to be paid 'In April'. This has now been changed to 'From April'. So don't hold your breathe. The 'explanation' is that it is proving difficult for (some) council's to set up. Of course they aren't generally set up to make payments to individual households, just to receive them, and not everyone is anyway on direct debit or has bank accounts (particularly those most in need of the subsidy). All they can readily do is to identify those (in Band D or below households) who are eligible.

I haven't received mine yet either but since there was no Direct Debit taken out in April for me (after switching current accounts) I expect that I will be contacted by Southwark in July based on my postcode.

Not sure how they?re working it out. When I rang to enquire, I was told it?s being done in batches. As I said, it doesn?t make much sense as most people I know and immediate neighbours had the rebate early April.

He couldn?t understand why I was querying it!

lilolil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They have done band D as all of my neighbours have

> had it.

Im band D & I haven?t received it yet & know others in band D that haven?t too, so they definitely haven?t done all of band D.

Does amount have a phone No for the council tax department? I rang but Southwark main reception must have been having a little lie down when I phoned. No reply from a previous email sent to me. (I pay yearly with a CC so don?t have the option of being paid via DD rebate.)