Repost: Man on bike with a long pole attacked a child's head in daylight

No, but they may well have a defence 'being of unsound mind'. Prosecuting, and if necessary holding in secure accommodation if found 'of unsound mind' is sadly a necessity, but locking someone up because they are acting madly without committing a real crime is not a good thing. And I think shouting out insults (homophobic or not) where 'intent' would be hard to prove would be a case in point.

It is too easy to think that locking up people who cause offence is a remedy. Actual bodily harm, or worse, criminal damage, or worse are maybe different things.

Too many countries have chosen to treat those they don't like (maybe whose actions don't fit into a standard pattern) as being 'insane' and locking them up.

This person is clearly a nuisance, and at times is scary, but any remedy must be the least we can think of, surely, in case of mental sickness.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I just had a bad experience with this guy this morning. I’ve seen him loads over the years up near where we live on Lordship Lane. We we have not engaged with him on our many encounters when he behaves as have been described here already. I have a teenage son and he knows to be mindful as well, ignoring him, crossing the road if he sees him.

I walked past him today when he was standing in someone’s front garden on Lordship Lane, spitting and talking to himself, aggressive homophobic language. I ignored him and walked with my dog towards the library. Suddenly outside the church I was knocked from behind with great force, into the church railings. I’m in a lot of pain, neck, back and head and was quite shocked. He did the same further down the road to a teenage boy in a Harris Academy uniform. I saw him carrying on to The Plough bus stop where he also did a less forceful knock into an elderly gentleman. He then got on the 185 towards Camberwell.

I’ve reported it to the police as this is the first time he’s been physically violent. It’s obvious that he has serious mental health problems. He’s also a lot bigger and stronger than he used to be and could have caused us serious injuries.

• 4 months later...
On 23/09/2022 at 21:48, TreacleRabbit said:

I think I encountered this man on Lordship Lane today at the crossing outside Marks & Spencer’s near Northcross Road.

A man on a bicycle ride through the crossing on red, with a long silver coloured pole horizontal across his bike. He rode through the pedestrians as they were crossing, and the pole almost caught my small child in the face. The children were very scared, and when I told him what has happened he cycled back and started ranting that he was being picked on.

He was threatening and scary. I will report him to 101 as soon as the website is back up and running.

Posting to warn others. He is dangerous.

I am sure it won’t come as a surprise to know that I reported to the police & chased them regularly. But:

- they didn’t attempt to get the CCTV until it was too late

- said they had no idea who the man could be and

- this would be ‘no crimed’.

clearly there is no police plan to deal with him (and that is the only option or MH dentin if there is a detainable condition, to protect others from harm).

it’s worrying given the number of incidents, particularly involving children. 

On 06/12/2022 at 10:59, MummaB said:

Unfortunately I just had a bad experience with this guy this morning. I’ve seen him loads over the years up near where we live on Lordship Lane. We we have not engaged with him on our many encounters when he behaves as have been described here already. I have a teenage son and he knows to be mindful as well, ignoring him, crossing the road if he sees him.

I walked past him today when he was standing in someone’s front garden on Lordship Lane, spitting and talking to himself, aggressive homophobic language. I ignored him and walked with my dog towards the library. Suddenly outside the church I was knocked from behind with great force, into the church railings. I’m in a lot of pain, neck, back and head and was quite shocked. He did the same further down the road to a teenage boy in a Harris Academy uniform. I saw him carrying on to The Plough bus stop where he also did a less forceful knock into an elderly gentleman. He then got on the 185 towards Camberwell.

I’ve reported it to the police as this is the first time he’s been physically violent. It’s obvious that he has serious mental health problems. He’s also a lot bigger and stronger than he used to be and could have caused us serious injuries.

The police are too busy chasing dog walkers in Nunhead cemetery.