Bins on the pavement- keep on your own property!

It’s become very annoying that people feel it is perfectly fine to leave their trash bins on the pavement which people use to , you know, walk around and generally exercise their right to use public space.

Do you leave your bins on the pavement ? Why ? Put them back on your property. It is smelly and very selfish of you. You do not own public footpaths.

Do your neighbours leave their bins the pavement ? Why ? Report them to Southwark and have their bins removed as nuisances on public footpaths : https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/abandoned-bins.

(1) We are asked to put bins for collection effectively onto the street on collection day - which is not infrequently nowadays collection 2 days.

(2) People without large, or any, front gardens find it difficult to store the plethora of large bins within their curtilage - and the bins are often not of a size where they can be readily brought through the house and back again.

(3) and as stated those with disabilities, including age, find it more difficult to move bins in and out. Although in theory the collectors will assist with bins of the disabled, crews change so that they don't always know, and some are less helpful than others.

When I am in I always try to move my bins off the pavement once they're collected, but if I'm away from home that isn't always possible. For those working away from home the bins will always be on the pavement (or wherever they are left by the collectors), until they householders return from work.

Bins on pavements may annoy you, but do try to get some perspective. In the grand scale of things this is all pretty trivial.

(1) We are asked to put bins for collection effectively onto the street on collection day - which is not infrequently nowadays collection 2 days.

(2) People without large, or any, front gardens find it difficult to store the plethora of large bins within their curtilage - and the bins are often not of a size where they can be readily brought through the house and back again.

(3) and as stated those with disabilities, including age, find it more difficult to move bins in and out. Although in theory the collectors will assist with bins of the disabled, crews change so that they don't always know, and some are less helpful than others.

When I am in I always try to move my bins off the pavement once they're collected, but if I'm away from home that isn't always possible. For those working away from home the bins will always be on the pavement (or wherever they are left by the collectors), until they householders return from work.

Bins on pavements may annoy you, but do try to get some perspective. In the grand scale of things this is all pretty trivial.

well said

Have to say, some newbuilds seem to have no dedicated space for a bin apart from outside the front door. There are examples of this in Melbourne Grove, must be more.

If you have a front door that opens from the street where does the bin go?

It's very poor planning IMO

It’s become very annoying that people feel it is perfectly fine to leave their trash bins on the pavement which people use to , you know, walk around and generally exercise their right to use public space.

Do you leave your bins on the pavement ? Why ? Put them back on your property. It is smelly and very selfish of you. You do not own public footpaths.

Do your neighbours leave their bins the pavement ? Why ? Report them to Southwark and have their bins removed as nuisances on public footpaths : https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/abandoned-bins.

I'm assuming you live in a great big house with a great big front garden and loads of space to store your completely non-smelly bins?

I expect you have one of those purpose-built bin stores, and you employ somebody to wait around until the bin people arrive, who can nip out as soon as the bins have been emptied, and put them back in your luxury bin store?

Please spare a thought for those who aren't so lucky 🙄

Couldn‘t agree more. Anyone who has the space and can reasonably keep bins within their property but choses to obstruct the pavement is inconsiderate and plain lazy.

Sadly, it seems the council is pretty useless in addressing this issue, but would be an issue to raise with the local MP to help push through and reinstate fine enforcement again.

Couldn‘t agree more. Anyone who has the space and can reasonably keep bins within their property but choses to obstruct the pavement is inconsiderate and plain lazy.

Sadly, it seems the council is pretty useless in addressing this issue, but would be an issue to raise with the local MP to help push through and reinstate fine enforcement again.

Did you not read any of the above replies?

What if the bins are left on the street by the bin men whilst you’re at work or away for a few days…?

There are various valid reasons. Please don’t be so shortsighted.

Did you not read any of the above replies?

What if the bins are left on the street by the bin men whilst you’re at work or away for a few days…?

There are various valid reasons. Please don’t be so shortsighted.

I think it is obvious posters are referring to bins left out on a permanent basis, not for a day or a few weeks while on holiday. And what if the bins are left on the street by the bin men - bring them back inside your property boundaries when you next pass them. Simple.

Some can’t move the bins, due to age or disability or true lack of space but others simple CBA, choosing to keep their front gardens full of bikes/pots/crap etc. when they ought to prioritise their bins.

Dunstan’s from Upland down to the school is a case in point. Parents - usually mums - and their young kids in their scores have to step into the road because of some people’s selfishness.

Some can’t move the bins, due to age or disability or true lack of space but others simple CBA, choosing to keep their front gardens full of bikes/pots/crap etc. when they ought to prioritise their bins.

Dunstan’s from Upland down to the school is a case in point. Parents - usually mums - and their young kids in their scores have to step into the road because of some people’s selfishness.

yes " some people’s selfishness"

As earlier posters have urged us to report the miscreants so that their bins are taken away and they are punished by the local authority I do hope that those so minded will ascertain without doubt whether they fall into (1) the 'Elderly and disabled' camp, or (2) the 'I've just gone to work on a bin day and I haven't yet got home to put the bins away or (3) the 'Can't be **sed' brigade'.

It would be most unfortunate if someone reached the wrong conclusion here.

"or (2) the 'I've just gone to work on a bin day and I haven't yet got home to put the bins away"

Those that fall into this category will be home to put the bins away l-o-n-g before the council will get around to removing them

BUT they will still have been reported! - And what if they're away from home for a number of days?

Absolutely agree. And whilst we’re on the subject, don’t you find car owners parking their cars on a public highway outside their house absolutely disrespectful to motorists who drive on such narrow, cramped streets?

If they can’t park them in their garage or on their drive then they simply shouldn’t be allowed to own a car IMHO.

Absolutely agree. And whilst we’re on the subject, don’t you find car owners parking their cars on a public highway outside their house absolutely disrespectful to motorists who drive on such narrow, cramped streets?

If they can’t park them in their garage or on their drive then they simply shouldn’t be allowed to own a car IMHO.

yes well said and what about the cyclist that go on the pavement? and don't get me on kids riding bikes on pavement let alone the mums with the kids on scooters on the pavement will it ever stop ??

This, but unironically. Works in Japan...

This, but unironically. Works in Japan...

we are NOT IN JAPAN

I agree with you and I report it!! It's annoying to try and manoeuvre a pram around these pavement blocks.

If someone is so physically unable they can't move an empty wheelie bin in, then really they should have carer or someone similar to help them.

What about the disabled and prams trying to get past these pavement blocks that are forced into the road?

Sometimes the bins are just left out till the next collection. The worst is the top of NORTHCROSS ROAD outside Emily's Place.

There's the bin on one side of the pavement and a tree on the other and everyone has to squeeze through the middle.

I agree with you and I report it!! It's annoying to try and manoeuvre a pram around these pavement blocks.

If someone is so physically unable they can't move an empty wheelie bin in, then really they should have carer or someone similar to help them.

What about the disabled and prams trying to get past these pavement blocks that are forced into the road?

Sometimes the bins are just left out till the next collection. The worst is the top of NORTHCROSS ROAD outside Emily's Place.

There's the bin on one side of the pavement and a tree on the other and everyone has to squeeze through the middle.

what about when 2 or more people with prams or buggies decide to stop and have a chat in the middle of the pavement, some times with children on scooters , what would do about that then REPORT IT ?.. and just because an old age pensioner cant move a bin YOU WANT TO REPORT THEM ? who to the police who don't have any thing better to do ?? or social services again who have don't have nothing better to do . as for the bin you talked-about why not ask southwark council to cut the tree down?? just a thought

• 2 weeks later...
As a wheelchair user bins can make difficulty. My route to Kings takes me along some very narrow pavements where peeps have to keep bins out front. However I ask that owners of these bins do not put them opposite a lamp post or tree as it can be very tricky and sometimes impossible to get berween them.