Join the Dulwich Society

If you are not already a member, you can try our monthly eNews free for 3 months as a taster: https://www.dulwichsociety.com/society/enewsletter-free-trial. To keep you informed of what's going on in Dulwich we publish a quarterly printed Journal, a monthly digital eNews and an annual ‘Dulwich Gardens open for Charity’ booklet. We maintain a website, three Twitter accounts and an Instagram account plus we offer talks, walks and tours. Just £10 per household per year, join here: http://dulwichsociety.com/membership

So you can campaign for road closures?

I don't think that's quite right. I believe that (pre LTNs and maybe pre-lockdown) the Society endorsed general moves to reduce road generated pollution (who wouldn't? - remember that the ULEZ expansion was theoretically directed at that as well) but without specifying or endorsing particular solutions - when the specific LTN proposals were actually made the Society still endorsed the claimed objective but did not endorse the particular solution - the Society seemed to recognise the very divisive impact potentially of the actual solutions proposed and realised its own membership would be very divided by them. I therefore believe that the Society as a whole has not taken any public position on local LTNs although individual members of the Society clearly may well have quite clear (and often conflicting with others) views of their own.

I therefore believe that the Society has never endorsed the actual 'LTN solutions' now in place - despite some claims made by 3rd parties - whilst still believing that reduction in traffic generated pollution (not its redistribution) in Dulwich is a good objective.

For that reason it would not be right to suppose that the Society has, or does 'campaign for road closures' as a general statement of policy. We all know of roads that have been closed or partially closed, some supported by the Society - those leading onto Peckham Rye for instance, or around schools at key periods - but these have tended to be for 'obvious' safety reasons.

So you can campaign for road closures?

I don't think that's quite right. I believe that (pre LTNs and maybe pre-lockdown) the Society endorsed general moves to reduce road generated pollution (who wouldn't? - remember that the ULEZ expansion was theoretically directed at that as well) but without specifying or endorsing particular solutions - when the specific LTN proposals were actually made the Society still endorsed the claimed objective but did not endorse the particular solution - the Society seemed to recognise the very divisive impact potentially of the actual solutions proposed and realised its own membership would be very divided by them. I therefore believe that the Society as a whole has not taken any public position on local LTNs although individual members of the Society clearly may well have quite clear (and often conflicting with others) views of their own.

I therefore believe that the Society has never endorsed the actual 'LTN solutions' now in place - despite some claims made by 3rd parties - whilst still believing that reduction in traffic generated pollution (not its redistribution) in Dulwich is a good objective.

For that reason it would not be right to suppose that the Society has, or does 'campaign for road closures' as a general statement of policy. We all know of roads that have been closed or partially closed, some supported by the Society - those leading onto Peckham Rye for instance, or around schools at key periods - but these have tended to be for 'obvious' safety reasons.

👍