Bring Back Boris

malumbu

On today's Jeremy Vine programme several people called in with this view, I see that the Telegraph shares this opinion too. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/14/time-bring-back-boris/

16% voted Tory in the local ward. So there must be some of you who think this is for the best.

(A bit of balance in regards to other threads on this site)

[i've posted elsewhere, as another caller to vine said, he was not Boris to the masses, but the PM or Mr Johnson. The same caller also said he was an odious man, but that is not the point of this thread]

Cameron, May, Johnson all Toast

Kwarteng, now toast, thrown under the bus by Truss

Parrot Truss, days and counting till she gets thrown out by the grey suits based on her performance at the press conference today, her behaviour was unforgivable, don't like the questions, don't like the heat in the kitchen, then very well just do one

Riling the political commentators is the worst thing to do, they will be circling her with sharpen knives to get her out, as Prime Minister you don't walk out of a press conference because you don't like the questions, disgraceful.

The only way forward is an election

Conservatives will get trashed and out of power for a decade

Only way Labour can get in is if Rayner gets thrown of the front bench

Last thing we need is a collation based on 2010 - 2015

Effectively UK Plc is down the pan, we need is a political force to reunite the country to move it forward.

Never have I ever seen such political turmoil in all my live

During the discussion today was that Johnson, despite his many many faults, would be doing a better job, (although I expect that most never wanted him gone).

Of course Truss was on a platform of Sunak stabbing Johnson in the back, and many obviously agreed with her.

Anyway trying to stay neutral, so if you can put all your views on his premiership to one side, is there a scenario where he could take over in the short or longer term. Are there any out there who actually feel stronger that he is the man for the job?

Is it likely though?

Scary thought.

It feels like anything could happen at the moment, no matter how crazy.

The reasons why not are the same as the reasons why he was kicked out before.

However, devil and the deep blue sea.

I've just spent eight minutes of my life watching that press conference. It was excruciating 😮

It is just that the idea of saying he is the better bet that sticks in the craw.

Truss does not have his 'rhetorical gifts' and is not a skilled dissembler/ liar.

Aside from the obvious issue of being stabbed in the front by his own Chancellor, I keep wondering why Boris was so keen to have her instead of Rishi? Clearly he was more than happy to throw the country under the bus for reasons of ego/ vanity. I also wonder if it was a gamble, knowing Truss would fail ( 'hasta la vista baby'). Her brief tenure has also shifted focus from his many misdeeds when in office.

If the whole country goes on strike perhaps that would force a General Election. We can only hope.

I expect there is a sizeable proportion of the population who still in favour of him as PM. I don't believe he is a great liar, not always convincing. But sadly that is what many expect of politicians.

As a caretaker PM he would boost the Tory vote

It would be peak Tory to elect him as leader and then the following week(s) he's up before the Privileges' Committee re. his misleading/contempt of Parliament, which if found guilty would mean (normally) he would have to resign.

He's currently sunning himself on holiday in the Caribbean during this national crisis, while briefing MPs/journos he's interested in running for PM as it would be 'in the national interest'.

What's that they say about leopards and spots?...

- 100 MP nominations needed

- First voting round 3:30pm - 5:30pm Monday, result at 6pm

- If still two candidates left, another indicative vote 6:30pm - 8:30pm, result announced at 9pm

- Hope is loser of indicative vote drops out, new PM Monday evening

Looks like they are trying to avoid going to a members vote.

Problem is, if Johnson made it to the last 2, would he drop out after losing an indicative vote?....

So, if this correct and MP's were honest, there can't be more than 3 contenders. Of course, if some MP's hedged their bets and promised support to more than one potential contender, there could be more than 3. I think I'd like it if there were 4.

I think I've missed the point here. I haven't read anywhere how people are formally nominated, but there must be some procedure for that.

David Gauke has written an article in the New Statesman with a suggestion as to how to trigger an election if Johnson returns as PM.

Labour and the Lib Dems should agree not to stand against Tory rebels (in an election) if they support a vote of no confidence. Sounds good to me.

So, if this correct and MP's were honest, there can't be more than 3 contenders. Of course, if some MP's hedged their bets and promised support to more than one potential contender, there could be more than 3. I think I'd like it if there were 4.

I think I've missed the point here. I haven't read anywhere how people are formally nominated, but there must be some procedure for that.

A candidate has to achieve 100 public declarations of support, most seem to Tweet their support so presume it has to written in some form, although there's nothing to stop them changing their mind when it comes to the secret ballot.

You're right that there can only be a max of 3 candidates as there are 350+ Tory MPs in total.

Now that Sunak has reached the 100 mark, it will be interesting to see how his non-declared supporters vote. Will they vote for Mordaunt to try and get her into the final two or do they pile onto Sunak and give him an overwhelming win.

As I said earlier, it would normally be expected that a well beaten second place candidate would do the honourable thing and concede defeat, like Leadsom did with May, therefore not go the membership to decide, but chances of Johnson doing that seem slim.

It's all another chapter in this never-ending Tory psycho-drama, while the country continues to go down the pan. It's doubtful any new leader will solve these internal problems of the various factions and the inability to govern through parliament will continue. Amazing really for a party with a 70+ majority.

And to think the worst of the cost of living crisis is yet to come...

David Gauke has written an article in the New Statesman with a suggestion as to how to trigger an election if Johnson returns as PM.

Labour and the Lib Dems should agree not to stand against Tory rebels (in an election) if they support a vote of no confidence. Sounds good to me.

I think they would still need the support of Labour and Lib Dem voters, otherwise there's nothing to stop Farage/Reform Party coming along and sweeping up votes.

Any rebel Tory MPs would also have to accept sitting in opposition for 5 years or more, impotent against a massive Labour majority. A big ask but probably what's needed for the Tory Party, time for some self-reflection and to get it's act together. As a party they're currently miles from than their right of centre roots, they've essentially been cuckooed by UKIP. I feel sorry for the David Gaukes, having to watch as their party has been hijacked like this. Thankfully Labour saw sense and ditched Corbyn...

Thinking out loud....If both frontrunners can swallow a bit of pride for the sake of party unity (unlikely, particularly in BJ's case , based on history)....then perhaps a Sunak premiership with BJ as, say, Home Secretary....could at least have a shot at making the tory party governable....

Of course that in no way means they will have any answers in actually governing the country....but the latter will never stand a chance of happening before the next GE, if the former isn't sorted to some degree....

I don't believe there is a single permutation that allows this government to continue in anything remotely resembling an orderly fashion

To take the Sunak/Johnson combo - as Cat says, it's unlikely to happen and if it did they still wouldn't have any answers to the problems - but for sake of argument let's imagine they swallow their egos and agree to proceed on this basis. Do they proceed with 2019 manifesto? In no universe is that on Sunak's mind. So where is the the mandate? That's a rhetorical question - there simply isn't one. And there is no combination of forces in current conservative party that will unite under any way forward

Every week and month this party pretends it wields power and has any support from the country is time expensively wasted - of course no easy answers exist but if they at least call an election, whoever gets elected (even the tories) will have at least gone to the country after the farcical last 12 months and be operating on a mandate

To be honest, I can't see any politican actually really wanting the job as its got to be a poison chalice.

If they are made PM it will be for a maximum of 2 years (Jan 2025) before having to go back to the country to decide who is in charge. That's liable to be a decisive vote to change government unless we go to war in the Falklands again 🤫

Equally the opposition parties will be calling for a GE every week for those two years.

The economy, both here and world wide is (technical term) flucked and will take the end of the Ukraine situation to start to improve and whilst there can be tinkering at the edges by whoever is in power, governments will struggle to solve it. As history has shown, parties in charge during a financial crisis aren't viewed well the next general election.

The SNP will argue for all that time that the next GE should be a vote of independence so that will be a constant thorn in any leaders side.

So back to two years of poisoned chalice, who ever is the next leader of the tories will be there for a maximum of 2 years before being out of power for a minimum of 5 years so potential contenders may well wait till after the next GE to stand up for leader.

It wouldn't surprise me that, after the Summer fiasco, Rishi may well bide his time until after the next GE to be leader of the Tories and we could well see a lame horse race to be leader this time around.

Ha yep...while Sir Keir will (as he should) call for a GE to be called at every opportunity....I would bet it would be squeaky-bum time for Sir Keir if they turned around tomorrow and actually did call one....

I mean if I was him I'd much prefer to sling mud from the cheap seats at the moment...

Well labour can either pick up and deal with this mess now

Or wait for another two years of damage and try and rectify things then

I suspect they (and the country as a whole) would much much rather start that job now before things get even worse

Some tories might enjoy sniggering at state of the country and laughing at owning lib tears at prospect of Johnson returning. But most sane people just want shot of this lot whilst fully aware of the challenges ahead