Has anyone been diagnosed with hypothyroidism after pregnancy?

Hello

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). This came about as a result of a full health screen through work, rather than visiting the doctor with any specific symptoms, although with the benefit of hindsight I now recognise a number of the symptoms in myself over the last few months.

Hypothyroidism is widely consdiered to be a condition that you have for the rest of your life. However having done a bit of research, it appears that there is a form of thyroiditis that can occur post-partum that is actually reversible. My doctor wanted to start me immediately on thyroxine (a hormone replacement therapy), but my research seems to show that once you have started on this treatment, it is very difficult to come off it, as it starts to effetively do the job of your thyroid gland. It also appears that this standard treatment does not suit everyone and can actually exacerbate the symptoms.

So my question is, has anyone been diagnosed with post-partum hypothyroidism and seen it reversed? Did it do this by itself or did it require some form of therapy whether drug based or natural?

Thanks for reading.

Victoria

I was diagnosed with post natal borderline hypothyroidism (my levels were just on cusp of whether to treat with thyroxine) but like you I wasn't too keen on this treatment either. I had acupuncture instead, on my dr's advice actually, and found this really effective for the symptoms and was enough to sort me out. As I say though mine was borderline and I think purely brought on by pregnancy so a more severe case may need different treatment.

Hi Victoria,

It is worth finding out exactly which tests you had done. The best indicator of whether or not post partum thyroiditis is permanent is thyroid antibody level. This test isn't usually part of the standard thyroid function test but carried out after an intial abnormal result in the standard test. High levels mean the damage is likely to be permanent, in which case treatment is needed life long (me unfortunately). About 2/3 of women with post partum thyroiditis recover after about a year and generally have undetectable levels of antibody. Some of this group may choose to be treated for a short time if their symptoms are severe. As far as I know this doesn't affect what ultimately happens.

I found this website helpful http://www.thyroid.org.au/ThySoc/ThySocPPTD.html

I had this show up in a blood test about 18 months after first baby. Symptoms were thinning eyebrows and hives. I also have a sister (diagnosed during her first pregnancy) and father with this condition and a previous false positive result years ago, so was vaguely aware of the condition. Doctor told me it was not uncommon in women who have had a baby and advised I have a retest after several months. I did and it had reverted to normal with no treatment.

I am pregnant again and it hasn't been an issue.

Thank you for all the responses and PMs. I am over 18 months post-partum, so probably clutching at straws anyway. I did have raised TSH levels after my first child though, which came down but that was more like a year after. I am due to have the antibody test in about a month so we will see. I will definitely look into acupuncture though, as would favour trying out the alternatives before going down the drug route. Sounds like I am probably putting off the inevitable though!

Just some reassurance if you do go on the thyroxine - I've been on it nearly 3 years now and had another baby in that time, never had any problems and I felt SO much better when I started taking it, only realised then quite how dreadful I'd been feeling.