Wed am bookstart sessions in Bew Court to end after July - victim of cutbacks

Unfortunately the very popular Bookstart sessions which run every Wednesday morning in term times in the hall in Bew Court (the estate at the south circular end of Lordship Lane, opposite Overhill Rd) are due to finish at the end of the summer term. Apparently the funding has been cut for Surestart and this means that fewer Bookstart sessions can be run. As a result any sessions not attached to a children's centre (which the Bew court one isn't) are due to end in July when the school term ends.

This is a very sad situation as the session is very popular among local parents and carers. I have been going there with my kids for the past four years and it has been a real lifesaver at times to get support from other parents/carers and from the wonderful Lynne and Sue who run the sessions with great enthusiasm and expertise. And of course they have fantastic children's books that you can borrow.

We have asked if we can contribute to each session to allow it to keep running (at the moment it is free) but apparently not. I'm sure I won't be the only one that will be very sad to see it go.