Broadband performance in SE22 9EL

Hi,

I have read / contributed on other threads about broadband service selection but now that Virgin have advised my specific house is not catered for I'm having to consider the options available via BT phone lines (as opposed to the fibre-optic cable which Virgins deploys). Virgin deliver to about 35 doors away !

I have looked at various provider's websites but the question is :

IS there anyone living in the above postcode who gets decent broadband speeds and if so who's the supplier / what level of service do you subscribe to (and what's cost) ?

I could speculate but best to hear from folks within a few yards of where I live.

My postcode is Crystal Palace Rd right by the CPT pub.

Any shared experience / advice gladly received.

Mr. REALLY-SLOW-Dial-Up

I have a friend that lives by grove vale area and he uses Sky with the 8MB service and says the service is good. In the Metro a while ago Sky got Avg speeds of 4.5MB. I'm running on Virgin 4MB service and it's fine for surfing - downloading movies - PS3 online gaming etc.

Best of luck with the minefield out there.

Keith

My postcode is SE22 9HF so quite near you.

I don't suppose you were considering them, but I wouldn't recommend AOL - since I signed up for another eighteen months (to get the "free" laptop) my broadband has been much worse - it was supposed to be faster!

Keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason, and the speed doesn't seem that great :X:'(

Hello,

Live in SE22 9EL (great neighbourhood) but have very limited technical skills. We are with BT, on the medium package and have no complaints re speed. The EDF, YouTube, Facebook, Itunes and online shopping all work very well. If checking the speed is easy, and you can tell me how to do it, I'll try to check.

Cheers

Mrs JM

Sue - I'm already using AOL dial-up and has been slow for last few years (not that I have anything to benchmark it against but I have friends on dial-up who send me links to websites that I can't open or use, but presumably they are utilising them OK). But based-on what you have said and other friends locally the AOL broadband offering is a bit weak.

JM - I will PM you tomorrow and pass on instructions of how to check your speed, I got the instructions from some kind person on another thread who has been through this. I've hear BT helpline is not great but now I can't get Virgin Media I'm clearly going to have to take a calculated gamble of phone-line providers.

KK

Oh definitely don't touch Orange...even with a barge pole. We've had an endless saga with them which started in January and still has some way to go I suspect. And they never even provided us with any service!

Mmmm good point - incidentally where DO I find bargepoles...

The kind person who advised how to check your speed told me this (don't ask me questions on it though as I have not tried it and don't have broadband [yet]) :

"

Use the address www.samknows.com (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php). Then put your postcode or telephone and it will show you the nearest exhange. There is an intereactive map as well. You can find a lot info on this site. Let me know if you need more information.

"

JM - I have PM'd same to you in case you don't read this.

I think I mentioned Eclipse on another thread. I'm just round the corner from you and have had perfect, fast service for about 18 months now (you get what you pay for). Agree with others on Orange - truly shameful and inept.

www.ecplise.co.uk

We did have the blinking red light. But we decided not to stick with them and the Livebox went back. Where it gets complicated, they still took over our phone line after we closed our account with them. So suddenly we get a final bill with big termination fees from BT. It's been a long and complicated story...

Thanks for the offer of help anyway. Sean McG

AOL are ok but they tend to have times where i just get disconnected for no reason.

When there server goes down and call centre's are half way round the world which i can never got through to allways been on hold for about half an hour or so and its not a free phone number but when i have complained i have been upgraded free of charge (tu)

I'd been with AOL for years with no problems - until I signed up for another eighteen months because of their "free" laptop offer (obviously it's not really free, but hey, at least I got a laptop and can sit on my sofa in comfort in the evenings while perusing websites :))).

I am supposed to be paying less than I was before for a faster service - I haven't noticed any difference in the speed, and like you I have started getting connection problems which I never had before.

I have also had major problems with AOL's address book - for the massive inconvenience and time this caused me, they kindly refunded me a fiver :)):)):))

I had to also sign up to their phone deal in order to get the laptop.

They told me it was "cheaper than BT" (not that I was with BT for calls anyway).

A matter of weeks later, I had an email from AOL saying "Look! Great! Now we're making weekend calls free!" Hidden down the bottom was a paragraph saying they were massively increasing the cost of their weekday calls ....

I keep meaning to complain, but life seems shorter and shorter these days :) I've just started using my mobile for calls instead .....

I'm a little further away at se22 *** and use Pipex broadband without issue. I think there are less connections per pipe too as year on year I have been able to get to the Glastonbury ticket sales page relatively easily whereas my mates using the more popular ISPs haven't.

I just did a speed check here http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ and got:

Date: Download Speed: Upload Speed:

Today 16:12. 4079 kbps (510kB/s). 381 kbps (47.6kB/s).

I've no idea if that's good or not..?

OK I got this result for SE229EL thanks to JM duo for facilitating this :

"

Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEZ

> > ? Matched result using the postcode you

> > providedKidKruger You are connected to the

> Dulwich

> > telephone exchange.

> >

> > ADSL is available in your area

> > Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max

> > services

> >

> > According to BT Wholesale, houses at your

> postcode

> > should be able to support a 6Mbps or greater

> ADSL

> > connection via ADSL Max.

> >

> > Standard ADSL RAG results:

> > You can receive 2Mbps ADSL

> > You can receive 1Mbps ADSL

> > You can receive 512Kbps ADSL

> > You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

> >

> > You are approximately 965 metres from the

> > exchange. Note that this is the straight line

> > distance - the actual cable length will be

> > longer!

> >

> > BT SDSL broadband availability

> > You are connected to the Dulwich telephone

> > exchange.

> >

> > SDSL is not yet available in your area

> >

> > According to BT Wholesale, houses in your

> postcode

> > can support an SDSL service of 2Mbps (Amber).

> >

> > For a further breakdown of the SDSL speeds

> > available at your address, please use the BT

> SDSL

> > checker.

> >

> >

> > ? Your BT SDSL code is: 1111GGGAZZZZNNNN

> > ? Matched result using the postcode you

> provided"

"

And another helpful person gave me this (again for SE229EL) :

"

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=16738&s_cid=con_nat_SPN_soap_vidse9_broadband&vendorid=SE9

For Postcode SE22 9EL on Exchange DULWICH

We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 6.0 Mbps (Megabits per second).

"

.....Thanks one and all for help here.

KK