Missing Bank Card and Unauthorised Accounts

Marmattee

I just wanted to check if any of you in the area are experiencing similar things.

A few months ago the fraud dept of my partner's banks asked that he get in touch. he replied (via the correct number) and was told someone had called them claiming to be him and requested a new credit card. He hadn't made this call. The bank cancelled everything and said they would send another. After a few days he checked online to find that a new card had been sent and had been already been used. He phoned the bank again and it was cancelled. The second new card arrived safely.

This week we both received 2 letters from Vanquis bank (a bank we have never used) The first was a PIN number the second a letter requesting that we send ID in the post to them. The letters were real and matched the banks numbers on the website. We called them and it turns out someone had indeed tried to open  accounts in our names. Needless to say the bank cancelled this and are investigating -it has been reported to the police. 

There is always one of us at home and no one else lives here, so therefore no access to our house to get letters. We think this means that the cards may have been intercepted prior to reaching us.

Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

It's frightening, everything is now done online and easy but there's a tradeoff between security and convenience. The easier it is to prove your identity, the easier it is for scammers to do the same thing should they get hold of your information.

Common ways they get your information is through email phishing attacks or it could be a person on the phone pretending to be from your bank, or data breach. DON'T click anything in emails unless you're expecting it and are 100% sure, instead go to the secure website starting with https and navigate to your issue from there.

No one is really immune from an attack though, we're all susceptible if caught off guard, like if a fake email arrives that just happens to coincide with something you're involved in.

6 hours ago, Marmattee said:

I just wanted to check if any of you in the area are experiencing similar things.

A few months ago the fraud dept of my partner's banks asked that he get in touch. he replied (via the correct number) and was told someone had called them claiming to be him and requested a new credit card. He hadn't made this call. The bank cancelled everything and said they would send another. After a few days he checked online to find that a new card had been sent and had been already been used. He phoned the bank again and it was cancelled. The second new card arrived safely.

This week we both received 2 letters from Vanquis bank (a bank we have never used) The first was a PIN number the second a letter requesting that we send ID in the post to them. The letters were real and matched the banks numbers on the website. We called them and it turns out someone had indeed tried to open  accounts in our names. Needless to say the bank cancelled this and are investigating -it has been reported to the police. 

There is always one of us at home and no one else lives here, so therefore no access to our house to get letters. We think this means that the cards may have been intercepted prior to reaching us.

Has anyone else had this?

Thanksi 

I don't understand the first part of this.

If your partner hadn't made the original phone call requesting a credit card, a) how did the caller get through security and b) why was another card sent out if your partner hadn't requested one in the first place?

Have I misunderstood?

6 minutes ago, Sue said:

If your partner hadn't made the original phone call requesting a credit card, a) how did the caller get through security and b) why was another card sent out if your partner hadn't requested one in the first place?

Have I misunderstood?

Because scammers can get through basic security checks if they have your details somehow and pretend to be you.

Edited by Twoddle

22 minutes ago, Twoddle said:

Because scammers can get through basic security checks if they have your details somehow and pretend to be you

But then the bank sent out another card although they had been told that the first one hadn't been requested?

I got hacked at Xmas.  It may have started with the theft in the post of a new card, but they probably got into my emails as well.  Most ID crime is on line.  Change all your passwords, set up dual whatsitsface authentication, contact all your financial institutions, register on a credit rating agency, and report to the frauduline site.  Will post link later.  It's horrible and very intrusive.  My mobile number was also stolen which alerted me to the likelihood that my banks were being approached.  Calling them up to be told that I had already phoned them that day was surreal. Some financial institutions were better than others.  Good news was that I wDnit out of pocket - a few £k was taken.

Also makes you paranoid that someone is watching you at home.  

I found that it is relatively easy for them to transfer your number and crack your credit rating.

21 minutes ago, malumbu said:

I got hacked at Xmas.  It may have started with the theft in the post of a new card, but they probably got into my emails as well.  Most ID crime is on line.  Change all your passwords, set up dual whatsitsface authentication, contact all your financial institutions, register on a credit rating agency, and report to the frauduline site.  Will post link later.  It's horrible and very intrusive.  My mobile number was also stolen which alerted me to the likelihood that my banks were being approached.  Calling them up to be told that I had already phoned them that day was surreal. Some financial institutions were better than others.  Good news was that I wDnit out of pocket - a few £k was taken.

Also makes you paranoid that someone is watching you at home.  

I found that it is relatively easy for them to transfer your number and crack your credit rating.

😮😮😮

13 hours ago, Sue said:

Have I misunderstood?

Hi Sue

I think I haven't been clear

a) the caller didn't get through security - the fraudsters made the request over the phone and the bank became suspicious. They therefore called my partner directly. I don't know what made them suspicious but I guess it was either a lack of security info or incorrect info

b) To be safe the bank cancelled his card and sent him another. As this new card never arrived and was then later used, we reckon this was intercepted - perhaps the fraudsters knew all along a new card was going to be sent??

8 hours ago, Marmattee said:

Hi Sue

I think I haven't been clear

a) the caller didn't get through security - the fraudsters made the request over the phone and the bank became suspicious. They therefore called my partner directly. I don't know what made them suspicious but I guess it was either a lack of security info or incorrect info

b) To be safe the bank cancelled his card and sent him another. As this new card never arrived and was then later used, we reckon this was intercepted - perhaps the fraudsters knew all along a new card was going to be sent??

Ah. So it wasn't a completely new card, it was a replacement card for one he already had?

And that was what the fraudsters were trying to get sent when they made the original phone call?