Trick or treat 🧟

I'm not fond of this American tradition but accept it having kids ourselves.  Stick to your own street, go out in groups, look for the houses with signs eg lit up pumpkin, don't encourage teenagers as it can get a bit nasty and have say one adult per six kids.

Oh and have a trick that doesn't involve egging those houses that don't wish to participate 

5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Welc9me to England where we have sweets not candy 🤣

lol I'm not fond of it either. Nor the sweets or candies. It's just my niece just really wants to go. 😓

5 hours ago, malumbu said:

I'm not fond of this American tradition but accept it having kids ourselves.  Stick to your own street, go out in groups, look for the houses with signs eg lit up pumpkin, don't encourage teenagers as it can get a bit nasty and have say one adult per six kids.

Oh and have a trick that doesn't involve egging those houses that don't wish to participate 

nope, not a teen. just a little girl wanting sweets. tbh, i don't even know how it works. I'm just asking around, really.

1 hour ago, nipperpenrose said:

I live on Upland Road and loads of houses towards the southern end participate, as well as quite a few on Dunstans Road. It's very festive. Trick or treating starts as soon as it gets dark, so don't miss out. 

thank you! I'll check those as well.😁

2 hours ago, Dulwich Gurl said:

Trick or treating starts as soon as it gets dark, so don't miss out.

And it lasts a short time - normally mainly over by 7:00 - as it's the younger children in the main who do it, normally with parents. This is not a wide scale, nor in the main  a teenage phenomenon locally in ED.

Halloween trick or treating is always on Halloween itself, not an alternative night.  Sometimes there are Halloween discos etc that run on the weekends, but for knocking on doors its the 31st only. The past couple of years Sydenham have run a halloween trail that looks really fun, but we've never been to so no first hand experience. 

Only knock on houses that have decorated / have pumpkins out - and yes, we're usually out of however many sweets we buy by about 7pm at the latest.

I think its nicest to just do streets around your own neighbourhood though so that you're knocking on doors where you know people.  My kids sometimes go out with their friends too and knock on doors where their school friends live.