Dave Courtney

Sydney Carton

Dave Courtney is dead, aged 64 by his own hand apparently. I remember Dave, sometimes known as ‘Rocky’ Dave, from the Forester’s Arms (Bishop) forty years ago. He was on the dustcarts and like most of the dustmen back then they’d finished work by 11 o’clock in the morning and were in the pub by twelve, a couple of pints before they went on to their other jobs painting and decorating or car mechanics. Dave’s other job was flogging recreational. He was a funny boy though – hilarious actually - and would do anything to make us laugh. One Saturday lunchtime he came into the pub wearing a nappy, no trousers or shirt, just a nappy. One night after the pub he popped round to our flat in Matham Grove and about five of us sat sharing a spliff and some tins listening to him cracking jokes and bullshitting. I remember laughing my socks off for about three hours. One thing I’m sure of is that he was no gangster. He was more Jack the Lad than Jack the Hat. He just liked to pretend he was a gangster, to dress up and tell tall tales, and thought a villainous reputation would help him get some TV work and mentions in the papers. I’m sure he did some dodgy stuff but I don’t think he was ever a psycho killer. RIP Dave an old Dulwich face.

Edited by Sydney Carton