Check your bill in Sainsbury's Dog Kennel Hill!

Sue

I just went in to buy a bottle of Kahlua. It was £16,  or £12 with a Nectar card, which I have.

At the till  I wasn't  asked for my Nectar card until I asked if they were going to scan it, and after it was scanned I was charged £24.

When I protested, the guy said "have you got a photo of the price?"

WTF! Yes, every item I buy in Sainsbury's I take a photo of the price 😡

He made me go all the way back through the store to take a photo, and only  then charged me £12.

Had this been part of a mega shop, I might not even have noticed, so check your bill!

Oh, and then I got on a P13 going in the wrong direction 😂

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

2 hours ago, Sue said:

I just went in to buy a bottle of Kahlua. It was £16,  or £12 with a Nectar card, which I have.

At the till  I wasn't  asked for my Nectar card until I asked if they were going to scan it, and after it was scanned I was charged £24.

When I protested, the guy said "have you got a photo of the price?"

WTF! Yes, every item I buy in Sainsbury's I take a photo of the price 😡

He made me go all the way back through the store to take a photo, and only  then charged me £12.

Had this been part of a mega shop, I might not even have noticed, so check your bill!

Oh, and then I got on a P13 going in the wrong direction 😂

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

That's an unfortunate experience.   Also £12 in Asda and Tesco with a Clubcard.

Just now, jazzer said:

That's an unfortunate experience.   Also £12 in Asda and Tesco with a Clubcard.

Yes,  somebody must have entered the price wrongly into the system, but I wonder how many people have been overcharged as a result.

I had a Tesco delivery quite recently, but Kahlua wasn't really on my radar at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

DKH Sainsbury's are one of the worst for incorrect pricing, I have to pick them up on at least one almost every shop. I used to train staff (from other supermarkets, not Sains) on Electronic Point of Sale (EPoS) process & procedure, so I know it's just down to sloppy practices, usually not removing shelf edge labels after a promotion ends. Used to be (maybe still is?) that if Trading Standards turned up they could issue a £1k fine for every instance of incorrect pricing, so the stores used to take it very seriously. I've pointed this out many times to many managers there, but they don't seem bothered.

And if I do see a clearly incorrect price then I do take a photo to show the checkout staff, they usually then will charge the lower price. I also often remove the shelf edge label or turn it around so that other shoppers aren't caught out...

13 minutes ago, fishboy said:

. I also often remove the shelf edge label or turn it around so that other shoppers aren't caught out...

I have been tempted to do that but worried about being spotted by jobsworth assistant.

Was a spate of prices on the shelves not reflecting the prices quoted on the website, so an example, butter reduced as a special offer to say £2.50 but the price shown on the shelve was £3.75. 

Checked with one of the floor staff in that section and confirmed the correct price was £2.50 and ditto at the checkout. As you say it is sloppy carelessness that creates confusion for customers.  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, fishboy said:

DKH Sainsbury's are one of the worst for incorrect pricing, I have to pick them up on at least one almost every shop. I used to train staff (from other supermarkets, not Sains) on Electronic Point of Sale (EPoS) process & procedure, so I know it's just down to sloppy practices, usually not removing shelf edge labels after a promotion ends. Used to be (maybe still is?) that if Trading Standards turned up they could issue a £1k fine for every instance of incorrect pricing, so the stores used to take it very seriously. I've pointed this out many times to many managers there, but they don't seem bothered.

And if I do see a clearly incorrect price then I do take a photo to show the checkout staff, they usually then will charge the lower price. I also often remove the shelf edge label or turn it around so that other shoppers aren't caught out...

It wasn't the shelf label that was wrong in this case. It was the price charged at the till.

I have complained online, pointing out that many other people must also have been overcharged. I await the response, though I'm not holding my breath 🙄

Edited by Sue

Before 24 hour opening, the general rule after price changes on the system was for the EPoS staff to replace the shelf edge labels for every item that had gone up first, before the store opened; that way no one would be overcharged. Then, when they had time (and usually while the store was open) they would replace the labels for the items that had gone down - the logic being that customers would be charged less at the till than they expected, so not a trading standards issue, and happy customers!

No idea what the procedure would be in a 24 hour store, but there must be one...

This has happened to me on several occasions recently in DKH Sainsburys. Namely I picked up an item on the shelf due to discounted Nectar card price, only to be charged full price at checkout. I had to ask for a refund. I only noticed because I was purchasing just a few items. Not sure I would have noticed with a big shop. I dont know how they can get away with the dual pricing in the first place anyhow - its an abhorrent marketing strategy.

16 hours ago, sweetgirl said:

My son picked up 3 cans today, marked as 45p on the shelf……

scanned at 50p!

If your son wasn't using a Nectar card it may be worth checking that the 45p wasn't the Nectar price - I'm finding this whole dual pricing regime quite confusing. Which is probably what was intended!

28 minutes ago, Penguin68 said:

If your son wasn't using a Nectar card it may be worth checking that the 45p wasn't the Nectar price - I'm finding this whole dual pricing regime quite confusing. Which is probably what was intended!

good point,, had not considered nectar

On 03/01/2024 at 16:28, Penguin68 said:

I paid & did use my nectar card.

went in today & saw the price has now increased by 5p…..