Nunhead not so Green

Whom at Southwark Council is responsible for this atrocity?

How was this ever allowed to happen?

What happened to consultation and asking the people what they wanted?

And who proposed, voted and agreed this?

And why do the residents have to pay for this utter and total shambles of work, it's disgraceful and shameful.

The clue is in the name, NUNHEAD GREEN.

This has all been sorted.

The council has apologised and has said that the contractor used the wrong materials and will put it right.

It is only on one part of the green 

It actually says in the article that it is being redone, but  in a throwaway sentence, because  if you are a paper, why waste a good story you have already prepared,  with lots of photos to whip up further outrage?

Parts of pavements all over East Dulwich are being replaced with unsightly tarmac, including around and right up to trees.

This has been going on for some time.

I hadn't really noticed until a large patch was laid right outside my house and almost right up to a tree, replacing paving stones which had only quite recently been laid.

Has anyone complained about that? I am about to. I'm wondering if it is the same contractors, but also why it has been done, because again, non permeable material has been used.

Edited by Sue

Does anyone believe this will actually be redone at the contractor's expense?  I agree with you that this is in direct contravention of their own green spaces strategy.   Catherine Rose strikes again - she is actually in charge of the Neighbourhood, Leisure and Parks department and is overseeing this fiasco with complete disregard for local stakeholders or -as people have pointed out here - council tax payer expense.  Her department operates without any regard for local opinion or consultation.  Just awful.

On 12/02/2024 at 21:07, Saranne said:

Her department operates without any regard for local opinion or consultation. 

Jesus wept. How does anyone expect the council to get anything done if they want a public consultation on what kind of surface goes under the street drinkers' benches? Councillors are voted in to get on with stuff, not fanny about with every curtain twitcher's ill-informed opinion. There was a mistake, it's been fixed already.